Change In Filter Pressures After New Heater Install.

I recently had a new heater installed due to the old one rusting out and would not fire. I went from a jandy LT 400k btu to a sta-rite max e-therm 400k btu.

The heater works as it is supposed to, but things run a little different now. Prior to switching heaters, with a freshly cleaned filter my pressures for high speed, low speed, and spa mode were 17,4,28 respectively. The spa is a raised and an attached spa that pours over into the pool at all times during normal filtering. Before, as expected, when running in low speed the amount of water spilling over was reduced, but it still had a decent amount of water flowing over.

Now with the new sta-rite heater (and a freshly cleaned filter) my high speed,low speed and spa mode pressures are 20,8,30 psi. Plus when I run the pool in low speed I get almost no flow over the spill over.

My concern is with the low speed pressure as I try to run it in low speed all the time except when using the spa. It just doesn't seem right to me to see my low speed pressure double and a dramatic loss in flow. I assume that the new sta-rite heater is just that much more restrictive causing this. I know that the heater has an internal by pass, but from what I can tell from the manual and looking on line that this is not adjustable and is controlled by a internal spring.

Also when in high speed I can hear water rushing through the heater manifold. Kind of hard to explain but it's a higher pitched noise that stands out and it's louder than the pool pump.

From what I can tell I don't think there is anything wrong, but I'm kinda hoping I overlooked something that might be causing these issues ( mainly concerned with the doubling of the low speed pressure) . I'm assuming that this will be the way it runs now as I realize not all equipment is made equal and when changing from one heater to another I can't expect everything to be the same. Just hoping someone on here has some insight to confirm my thoughts or has an idea of what is causing this.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this is anything to worry about. Just out of curiosity, is the heater plumbed in correctly? I've seen some where the in flow is plumbed to the out flow. Double check this and make sure they are correctly plumbed.