How Much De

jfish

How much DE do I use for my filter? The bag of De says for my filter size I should use 2.5 pounds. The label on the filter says 4.5 pounds. that is a pretty significant difference. Which one is correct? I have been following the filter directions.

I assume you are referring to a 1 pound coffee can(of which I cannot find anymore, I use a 13 ounce can). I am just wondering about the difference. One way it is 5 one pound cans. The other it is 9 one pound cans. I have been adding 10 thirteen ounce cans. I opened my pool on Sunday and have backwashed and recoated 2 times. The water was pretty clear when it was opened and was sparkling in 24 hours. Would less DE give a longer or shorter time between backwashes

• 3 weeks later...

DE filters are not backwashed, just drained flushed and refilled with water, and upon starting recharged with DE. They need service when the pressure can't be brought down for any length of time by bumping the filter. That's why on startup after charging with DE it says to make note of the initial pump pressure. As the filter filters, the pressure will creep up, give it the bump, it will go back to initial pressure. After it won't stay at initial pressure for a time, service. Note startup initial pressure.

My Hayward DE filter says use about 15 1lb. coffee cans full of DE. I have only been using 5 cans at each charge for over 15 years with no problem. My current pool is a 21' above ground, previous pool was a 24' above ground that lasted 18 years.

I assume you are referring to a 1 pound coffee can(of which I cannot find anymore, I use a 13 ounce can). I am just wondering about the difference. One way it is 5 one pound cans. The other it is 9 one pound cans. I have been adding 10 thirteen ounce cans. I opened my pool on Sunday and have backwashed and recoated 2 times. The water was pretty clear when it was opened and was sparkling in 24 hours. Would less DE give a longer or shorter time between backwashes

Well got into today as well. It did great. I invite some of the neighbors. Had a blast. My chorline level went down to normal. I'm going to shock my pool on Sunday. (properly this time).

Can anyone help me with one last ? (at least I hope its the last one). How do you put the chlorine tablets in the filter. I mean I know where they go and how to insert them but isn't the water going to come out of the pump when I do it that? Is that ok? If someone could let me know. Right now all the PH, Bromine and Chlorine levels are just perfect but I know I will need to do it sometime and in a week need to change the filter. Well thanks for the help. Take care all.

Jenny

• 1 year later...
Well got into today as well. It did great. I invite some of the neighbors. Had a blast. My chorline level went down to normal. I'm going to shock my pool on Sunday. (properly this time).

Can anyone help me with one last ? (at least I hope its the last one). How do you put the chlorine tablets in the filter. I mean I know where they go and how to insert them but isn't the water going to come out of the pump when I do it that? Is that ok? If someone could let me know. Right now all the PH, Bromine and Chlorine levels are just perfect but I know I will need to do it sometime and in a week need to change the filter. Well thanks for the help. Take care all.

Jenny

Try installing a Shut off vavle on the retun line that goes back into the pool. When you go to install the tablets shut the valve off. This should keep the water from coming back through the filter.

DE filters are not backwashed, just drained flushed and refilled with water, and upon starting recharged with DE. They need service when the pressure can't be brought down for any length of time by bumping the filter. That's why on startup after charging with DE it says to make note of the initial pump pressure. As the filter filters, the pressure will creep up, give it the bump, it will go back to initial pressure. After it won't stay at initial pressure for a time, service. Note startup initial pressure.

Some DE filters want to be bumped, some want to be backwashed. All should be periodically opened up and scrubbed out. Check your manual.

--paulr

Jenny

Put the tablets in the skimmer basket.

If you run your filter 24/7 it's okay to put tablets in the skimmer basket. I've read people's stories about how they can damage things if they're just sitting there with no water flow, as the tabs are somewhat acidic. You can get a cheap plastic floater for the tabs, works great.

Long-term use of tablets will increase your CYA too much, though, you want to keep an eye on that.

--paulr

Jenny

Put the tablets in the skimmer basket.

Years ago a pool dealer gave me one of these. It is called an ez scoop and it is used for DE earth filters. Better than a coffee can and does not cost much at all!

http://www.coolpooldeals.com/aladdinequipm...scoopdecup.aspx