Shopping...looking For Swimspa With Steel Frame (Hydropool, D1, Etc)

Kdot

We are swim spa shopping. The swim spa will be installed partially recessed in a use-specific built addition. I was very close to purchasing site unseen from a factory direct website...excellent pricing, but too far away to see or test and for service. After deciding that we would like a little more local support and service than factory direct could offer and that we wanted to be able to see and feel the quality of the spa, I have resumed my search.

I am interested in a swim spa with steel framing as longevity of life and strength of body and shell with this are very important due to its placement inside. Jets are fine but we are mostly interested in a large open water tank to serve as a splash pool. This will be used mainly for family enjoyment rather than a serious exercise machine. I may also like to have some separation for the "hot tub/therapy spa" end of this unit from the open exercise/swim area for relaxation and the ability to increase the water temp in the smaller body of watering the hot tub end.

I am currently looking at the Hydropool 19' AquaSport. I also like the design of the D1 swim spas, but I have read about some scary quality problems they have been having.

Are there any other manufacturers that utilize steel framing?

Does anyone having any feedback on Hydropool and/or D1?

Thanks,

Kathleen

Greetings-

I wouldn't limit yourself by requiring the frame to be steel: Homes across the USA are built with lumber, why not your swim spa? Steel framing tends to be used for cost controlled measures, though that is not how the "pitch" to use steel is relayed to the customer. Steel can rust just like would can rot. But neither will get to that point as there is no reason for water to be inside the cabin in the first place.

Full Disclosure: I am a Catalina Spas dealer and we sell swim spas that use wood frames. However, that is indeed the industry standard and the superior method to use when constructing a swim spa.

To be brand specific: Catalina uses a 3 ply shell construction process with a lip over design for the best weight distribution method in the industry. Catalina has been making swim spas for over 30 years and have perfected the technique so well that they now wholesale their shells to competitors.

D1 is a fine brand. The only hang up I have with them is that Jacuzzi (Apollo Group) purchased the brand to add their swim spa line to their arsenal. As Jacuzzi has acquired a few other top notch lines (Sundance), the byproduct is that these brands are now made in Mexico (Which may or may not be a problem for you) but more importantly- Is the product you buy now still going to be built the same way in the future? Meaning: once the factory streamlines the assembly process, are parts/techniques going to be eliminated and will obsolete parts be available to purchase later? This may be a small factor to consider but I get many customers looking for discontinued parts that their original dealers no longer carry/have available, and I am not able to help them. It is because of my everyday encounters with customers who own other brands that are no longer able to get what they need that I relay this to you.

Catalina has a few spas that you may like. The company's spas are still made in the USA (Which is now suddenly a rare occurance) but isn't perfect: Their website is still pretty rudimentary. Below is a link to some of the models they offer.

http://www.catalinaspas.com/olympicseries2.html

As this forum is frequented by many dealers/factory reps/salesmen, I have no doubt that you will find others who handle a specific product line that can further illuminate you as to other options out there in the industry. But your initial hunch is correct: Local dealers are a major part of the not only the decision making process, but in the long term as well. National brands just simply do not have the logistical support that local dealers provide, and your warranties/services on the back end will reflect that.

Good luck moving forward. I am always available to help answer additional questions and will be periodically checking in on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I like D1 a lot...I don't know much about Hydro. Maax also uses a steel frame. I have not seen many 10 year old swim spas but have seen 10+ year old hot tubs to have seen wood framing rot. I also recommending wet testing before buying, there are huge differences and I try and use them anytime I get a chance. I have swam in a D1, Maax, Catalina, Endless Pool, Tidal Fit and maybe a couple others and D1 and Maax were my two favs. I don't like the "swim jets" much because I think the circle jets push out much more water. I would like to try the master spas phelps series but generally you can only buy those from road shows and get no service.

• 5 months later...

cant agree with Dan the Spa man, sorry. I own an 2007 H2X with a steel frame. It weighs 2000 pounds or so, dry. It also leaks. It would be falling apart and un-moveable by now if it had a lumber frame. I have an older wood frame optima which has had a ferw owners and been moved a bunch. After sitting at our house for almost 2 years and leaking a bunch, I just moved a bit and I am sure I cannot move it anymore unless it is to the junk yard. The frame is pretty rotten.

A used H2X is a good solution for what you want. It has an OK (surely not great) propulsion system, but works as a fantastic splash pool for our little 34 month old minnow we have at home. He loves it and loves playing around in the jets and playing with the controls to change the waterfalls and such. He loves it to death. We paid $15K used, and delivered for it. I hooked it up myself. If you shop around you can probably find one for less, these days.

• 8 months later...

Yes I do agree that all pools are not closed in winter, even many pool heaters are available in market like solar pool heaters, Gas pool heaters, electric pool heaters etc. Solar Pool Heaters can heat the swimming pool easily and quickly. It can rise the temperature from 14 to 15 degree easily. It is cost effective and works efficiently. Even in winter it increases the temperature and it is good for swimmers.