Salt Water Pool Opening

Hi i am looking to open a salt water pool for the first time. Can anyone tell me the proper procedure? Thanks

I have one as well. I believe the procedure is the same as for any other pool, with one more step. You have to test salinity in the water and add salt according to your equipment requirements. Mine requires at least 3500 reading, yours might be different. In our area any pool supply store does the water analysis for free and suggests which chemicals are needed.

- take off the cover

- remove all the pugs from the skimmer return etc.

- check the pump and the filter (most likely clean it if you did not do it in fall) - water release plugs etc.

- start the pool

- shock it according to your volume

- balance the water chemistry

- when water clears up, vacuum and take out leaves.

- clean filter in the process

I am a struggling pool owner as well! So I am pretty much repeating what the pool supply told me!

so far it is working...

Thanks,

Do you still shock with chlorine? or just salt.

Chlorine! Salt/chlorine generator is to maintain the chlorine level. But to open you need the shock.

It is beneficial to retest your water, I am planning on doing it tomorrow again. It has been raining by me and it affects chemistry.

Hi i am looking to open a salt water pool for the first time. Can anyone tell me the proper procedure? Thanks

I'm in to my third year opening my pool. Here is what I do:

Inventory Chemicals

• Balance Pak 100 (to set total alkalinity)

• Metal-X (to absorb metals dissolved in pool water and prevent staining)

• Muriatic Acid (acid)

• Salt (set total salt to 3200-3400 ppm)

• Shock (1 pound bags of shock)

Preparation

• Clear all debris off of pool deck.

• Bring water level up to the middle of the skimmer.

• Collect all the pieces removed during the winter and bring them outside.

• Remove expansion plugs and lube with silicone lube.

• Use net to remove all big debris from pool.

• Through a bag of shock in the pool.

Assembly

• Remove all expansion plugs and install jets.

• Install Cell – lube O-rings with silicone.

• Install filters, gauge, lube o-rings with silicone.

• Check all check valves and plumbing fittings for proper connection.

Start up the pump and let it run for a while with the chlorinator turned off. Check for leaks and noises. On the pool controller there should be a menu for diagnostics where you can see the salt level so you know where you are starting. I pour the salt into my leaf net and then hold the net in frontof a return to dissolve the salt immediately (instead of dumping in and sweeping it around to dissolve). FOr my 10K pool it usually takes 2.5 40lb bags of salt to get back to ~3200 ppm.

As far as water testing order a Taylor K-2006 andlearn to use it. That is the best piece of advice I got from this forum. My pool store testing is inconsistent at best. After salinity is set and chlorinator is running set the total alkalinity (TA). Then add CYA and check TA again. Once those are balanced set the ph and finally the hardness.

Good luck.