Pool Magic + Phos Free And Cartridge Filter - Warning

I read the directions and added the stuff to the skimmer as it said. My Pentair cartidge filters immediately clogged and the pressure shot up. I turned it off and cleaned the filters. Two days later the pressure was again abnormally high. I again dismantled and cleaned the filters. Just a friendly warning if you plan to use this stuff. I'm sorry I did.

I read the directions and added the stuff to the skimmer as it said. My Pentair cartidge filters immediately clogged and the pressure shot up. I turned it off and cleaned the filters. Two days later the pressure was again abnormally high. I again dismantled and cleaned the filters. Just a friendly warning if you plan to use this stuff. I'm sorry I did.

Thanks for the heads up. If you have a lot of phosphates in the water, then the phosphate remover (lanthanum chloride) will precipitate a lot of lanthanum phosphate. The instructions about adding it to the skimmer are probably more suited to having a sand filter you can easily backwash. The other approach is to treat it more like a flocculant in the water, turning off the pump 10 minutes or so after mixing in the bulk pool water and then vacuuming to waste, assuming you can vacuum to waste in your pool (many cartridge filter pools don't have a vacuum to waste option).

I have 2000-3000 ppb phosphates in my pool and keep algae from growing just by maintaining an appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level.