Hot Springs Heater Problem

I have a Hot Springs tub that is not heating. It is 230 V power, and everything else works. Circ pump, two jet pumps, and light. Just no heat. It is a No Fault 6000 heater, the control is an IQ 2000 system. On the IQ 2000 board, there are three LED's, one says LIM OK and is green, one says HTR ON and is red. The last says CONTROL UNPLUGGED and is not lit at all. I believe this spa has a feature where the power light flashes if the hi limit is tripped. It is not flashing, and never has. I have reset the breakers, but they did not trip. I found the reset button on the heater and reset it, but no luck. Anybody know what the lights mean? Or how else to diagnose the issue?

Thanks,

Mike

To the side of the main circuit board (IQ2020) take a look at the smaller circuit board. This is the Heater Relay Board for the hot tub. Check it over visually and see if there are any signs of an electrical short of any kind. It could be a malfunction with that relay not activating the heating element. Unless you're experienced with electrical stuff, I wouldn't recommend going any further. But it is possible to test and see if power is passing through the board to the heater.

Especially if your hot tub is under warranty, I'd suggest contacting your local dealer for warranty related service. Still wouldn't hurt to contact them anyhow.

Olympic Hot Tub Company

1425 Dexter Avenue North

Seattle, WA 98109-3534

206-286-0700

www.olympichottub.com

You have a good local dealer. So I'm sure you'll get good support from them.

Thanks Jerimiah. I have the IQ 2000, not the IQ 2020. I do not see a separate board for the heater. Do you know what color the LED lights are supposed to be? The heater is a few hundred bucks to replace, just trying to make sure that is the problem before I do it. I am past warranty, but I have used Olympic before, and have an email in to them as well.Thanks for your reply.

Mike

Thanks Jerimiah. I have the IQ 2000, not the IQ 2020. I do not see a separate board for the heater. Do you know what color the LED lights are supposed to be? The heater is a few hundred bucks to replace, just trying to make sure that is the problem before I do it. I am past warranty, but I have used Olympic before, and have an email in to them as well.Thanks for your reply.

Mike

The relays in the IQ 2000 boards were very reliable. I would guess that the heater is bad. Since the "heater on" light is on it means there should be voltage going to the heater.

If you have a meter you can check voltage to the heater and continuity through the heater.

Thanks Dan and Spa. I have a meter, just not sure exactly where to check, any tips? Would like to have a little more assurance it is the heater before replacing. Appreciate any assistance.

Mike

Well, make sure power is off!!!

Open up the IQ2000. The heater wires come into the bottom of the box and are the first wires on the left. You can trace them up from the heater. Pull them off from the relay. They are just attached with "flag" terminals that pull off. Put the meter onto ohms to check continuity (upside down horseshoe) and see if there is a reading. I believe it should read 9.8 or something like that. If it reads Open Line (O.L.) or zero (0) then the heater is bad.

The other thing that you could check is voltage to the relay. Turn the power back on to the tub. Set the meter to voltage and carefully put the leads to the relay that you took the heater wires off from. It should read 220 volts. If you have 220 volts and there is no heat then the heater is bad.

Both of these scenarios assume that the red thermal cut-off (high limit button) on top of the heater is not tripped which you already said is not.

Again....some have posted that the relay board is a good suspect but that is more of a problem on the IQ 2020 boards and not on the IQ2000's. I would still bet on the heater.

• 4 years later...