Sand Filter Blowing Dirty Water Back In Pool. Desperate For Help!

Leah C.

I have a 24'round 52" tall pool. Hayward sand filter, not sure of the model#. Our pool started out dark green and mucky this year, but with tons of shocking we have finally gotten the water mostly clear. Then when we tried to vacumm all the debris from the bottom, it just blew all the dirty water back in the pool. We have checked the laterals and the vertical tube for cracks, we've replaced the sand. The gasket under the multi valve is in perfect condition. The people at our pool place thought we might be low on sand and suggested adding a bag of zeo sand and using a cup of de after each backwash. It didn't help at all.Vacuuming to waste does no good, as it takes too much water out of the pool for the amount of vacuuming I need to do, which with a properly operating system, would take hours to get all the heavy debris. It has been suggested that the filter just can't handle the heavy dirt load, but we've had heavy dirt loads before with no problems. The whole filter system is about 5-6 years old. the only other thing we can do is replace the whole spider lateral, if that is even the problem.

I'm desperate for help with this, its the middle of july and we haven't been able to use our pool yet!

I have a 24'round 52" tall pool. Hayward sand filter, not sure of the model#. Our pool started out dark green and mucky this year, but with tons of shocking we have finally gotten the water mostly clear. Then when we tried to vacumm all the debris from the bottom, it just blew all the dirty water back in the pool. We have checked the laterals and the vertical tube for cracks, we've replaced the sand. The gasket under the multi valve is in perfect condition. The people at our pool place thought we might be low on sand and suggested adding a bag of zeo sand and using a cup of de after each backwash. It didn't help at all.Vacuuming to waste does no good, as it takes too much water out of the pool for the amount of vacuuming I need to do, which with a properly operating system, would take hours to get all the heavy debris. It has been suggested that the filter just can't handle the heavy dirt load, but we've had heavy dirt loads before with no problems. The whole filter system is about 5-6 years old. the only other thing we can do is replace the whole spider lateral, if that is even the problem.

I'm desperate for help with this, its the middle of july and we haven't been able to use our pool yet!

Get out from under that Monster sized pool and take your life back.

When it comes to pools, Smaller really is better!

First thing, have you checked for any broken, cracked, or loose laterals in the filter?

The spider gasket is not an expensive or difficult repair and certainly sounds like it could be the problem. The other possibility is that your sand has channeled, allwong dirt to ennter the pool. It's an easy fix. Open the filter to expose the sand. Stick a garden hose in the sand and turn it on. Then sand will losten up and any dirt will float and overflow out of the filter. CAREFULLY break up any clumps of sand with a broom handle BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THE LATERALS!

When the water overflowing from the filter is running clear you are done.

Get out from under that Monster sized pool and take your life back.

When it comes to pools, Smaller really is better!

I am a bit confused. What does this have to do at all with the OPs question?

You really can't make a blanket statement like that. Everyone has different needs and expectations for a pool. While it might be true for you that smaller is better a large number of pool owners feel otherwise and, when questioned, say that they wish they had upsized their pool.

Actually the hardest pools to maintain are the smaller 'donut' and "EZ SET" pools because of the inefficient and undersized pumps and tiny paper (instead of polyester fiber) cartridges they come with, not to mention the lack of a skimmer. Getting good circulation and filtration is a real problem in these pools.

Smaller is not always better.

When you are vacuuming, are you Backwashing the filter after a short time?

Also, when you say heavy dirt load, is some of this leaves or other heavy debris?

Heavy debris can be taken out with a leaf eater vacuum; they are cheap.

Could be something with the multiport valve. Just a guess.

A new Hayward multiport valve is about $100.

Please reply.

George

• 2 months later...

We have checked the laterals and the vertical tube for cracks, we've replaced the sand. The gasket under the multi valve is in perfect condition.

First thing, have you checked for any broken, cracked, or loose laterals in the filter?

The spider gasket is not an expensive or difficult repair and certainly sounds like it could be the problem. The other possibility is that your sand has channeled, allwong dirt to ennter the pool. It's an easy fix. Open the filter to expose the sand. Stick a garden hose in the sand and turn it on. Then sand will losten up and any dirt will float and overflow out of the filter. CAREFULLY break up any clumps of sand with a broom handle BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THE LATERALS!

When the water overflowing from the filter is running clear you are done.

Snap! Sorry, but i couldn't hold it!

Leah, forgive me if this seems to be a silly question but, What kind of sand did you use, and when you put it in, did you add it slowly and use water while adding? If you add the sand without using water, you will usually break a lateral or two.