How Do I Lower My Chlorine?

stillme

My husband "shocked" the pool with lots of chlorine last night at midnight (we had been having a problem with the chlorine staying in the tub even when no one was using it, we filled it Monday). This morning at 9am the tub had a chlorine level over 10, yikes! The chlorine level is still over 10 and it is 6pm. Is there anything we can do to lower the chlorine? I have the cover open and the air on in the tub, but I truly hate using the electricity. On a good note, the ph is good and so is the alkalinity. We will be ordering a Taylor kit and following the system that I found on line here, but in the meantime, some help would be great!

My husband "shocked" the pool with lots of chlorine last night at midnight (we had been having a problem with the chlorine staying in the tub even when no one was using it, we filled it Monday). This morning at 9am the tub had a chlorine level over 10, yikes! The chlorine level is still over 10 and it is 6pm. Is there anything we can do to lower the chlorine? I have the cover open and the air on in the tub, but I truly hate using the electricity. On a good note, the ph is good and so is the alkalinity. We will be ordering a Taylor kit and following the system that I found on line here, but in the meantime, some help would be great!

I just read something about needing to shock the tub and then let it sit for 24hours before checking the level. I have closed shut the tub off and closed the lid. The heat is on to 101 degrees and we will check the tub chlorine at midnight. If the chlorine is still high tomorrow, is there something we can do to lower it?

You can use Hydrogen Peroxide to lower Chlorine. However, I find the best way to lower Chlorine is to just soak in the tub. :)

Thanks for the idea of the hydrogen peroxide. Do you have any idea of how much to lower by each number? Our tub is 390 gallons. I would love to soak in the tub, but I read that I should not if the chlorine level is above 5, is that accurate?

Thanks for the idea of the hydrogen peroxide. Do you have any idea of how much to lower by each number? Our tub is 390 gallons. I would love to soak in the tub, but I read that I should not if the chlorine level is above 5, is that accurate?

I'm not sure on the amount. You can try a pint first, let run for 15 mins and check FC. Keep adding pints until FC is 8ppm, then go ahead and soak.

5 ppm FC is a little low for the Max FC to soak with. I've soaked with much higher levels with no il effects, at least not yet. LOL I'd say 10 ppm FC is a more realistic max to soak.

To lower the Free Chlorine (FC) level by 1 ppm in 350 gallons, it takes 0.6355 grams of pure hydrogen peroxide so that's 4.3 teaspoons (0.716 fluid ounces) of 3% hydrogen peroxide or 1/3 teaspoon (0.0543 fluid ounces) of 35% hydrogen peroxide (has higher density of 1.13 g/ml) so scale up according to the FC amount you want to reduce and adjust for spa size and strength of hydrogen peroxide as appropriate.

So to lower the FC by 5 ppm in 390 gallons, you would use 4 fluid ounces (1/2 cup) of 3% hydrogen peroxide or 1.8 teaspoons of 35% hydrogen peroxide.