Planning A Purchase - Still Have A Few Questions.........

mauryc

Folks, we've been researching a hot tub purchase for some time now, and finding accurate feedback and info has been difficult. We want a larger round tub, and have (for now) narrowed out choices down to the Nordic Crown or the D1-Arena. My questions are these. Close in size, the Arena weighs over 200lbs more than the Crown. Should I take this a sign of build quality, or not so much? Secondly, we live in south Louisiana where temps are mild. The 220 vs 110 argument still has me confused. I have to run new electrical anyway, so will 220 cost that much more? I'd prefer not to have to turn the thing on in the morning just to have it warm by the evening, as I've read some 110 owners do. Is there a rule of thumb on degrees per hour wrt warming (maybe I should break out the physics books?) :).

Anyway, any feedback you can provide would be appreciated,

Thanks, Maury

The D-1 should definitely be a better build quality. 220v shouldn't cost much more, assuming you can fit the larger breaker in your main box. 110v works fine in mild temperatures. Generally, the difference is that on 110v the heater is 1kw and on 220v the heater is 4kw (or more). Additionally, on 110v the heater cannot operate while the jets are on high speed.

I find the above to be generally true, though am not 100% familiar with your situation.

Modern portable spas typically remain at the temperature you have set them to, 24 hours a day. So you don't need to turn on a 120v unit in the morning to have it ready in the evening. In the winter, it may even take several days to get hot (gains of about 2 degrees per hour) if you allowed it to cool. 120v spas will take much longer to heat (about 4x as long), but once they're hot, they stay just as hot as a 240v spa.

The main difference that Loop mentioned is the ability to gain heat about 4x as fast, and, you gain the ability to heat the water while the jets are on full force. On a mild winter day, with a temp in the 50's or below, you'll appreciate this convenience.

Is it worth the additional cost of the elec run? This really depends on your climate. If you many cool nights, it's probably worth it. If you live in a tropical climate, probably not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...