Mixing Chlorine And Bromine

huey graphite

I've had a hot tub for the past 8 months and have been using bromine through a floater. How can I shock the tub with Bromine once a week? Or can I shock with liquid chlorine?

I last changed the water 2 months ago and it has a bit of a green hue to it. Also, when the jets are on, there is too much foam and the bubbles are a little dirty. I've rinsed the filter. Any other suggestions? Am I due for another water change?

Thanks in advance.

I've had a hot tub for the past 8 months and have been using bromine through a floater. How can I shock the tub with Bromine once a week? Or can I shock with liquid chlorine?

I last changed the water 2 months ago and it has a bit of a green hue to it. Also, when the jets are on, there is too much foam and the bubbles are a little dirty. I've rinsed the filter. Any other suggestions? Am I due for another water change?

Thanks in advance.

Water change depends on the size of the tub and its use. Green usually indicates metals in the water that are reacting with the chemicals, unless the tub has no cover and sunshine is creating algea. You can try a metal remover at next fill or get a filling filter to attach to your hose to get these metals out of the water. If its not metals or algea, the other thing I have learned is people that use Irish Spring soap tend to have green foamy water. :huh:

You shock bromine with chlorine (di-chlor is recommended) or MPS (non-chlorine shock). When you shock the tub it re-establishes the bromine that has been "used up". Tablets that you put in a feeder are usually a bromine/chlorine mix, but shocking is still needed in most cases to super oxidize the water.

Rinsing the filter will help, but have you cleaned it? Foam is from sweat,soap,deaoderant ect that is in the water. Shocking the tub will help this and you can also try a clarifier. Be careful to what kind of clarifer you use, so are oil based and IMO stink. Clean you filters after running a clarifer a day ot 2 later.

Thanks in advance.

Water change depends on the size of the tub and its use. Green usually indicates metals in the water that are reacting with the chemicals, unless the tub has no cover and sunshine is creating algea. You can try a metal remover at next fill or get a filling filter to attach to your hose to get these metals out of the water. If its not metals or algea, the other thing I have learned is people that use Irish Spring soap tend to have green foamy water. :huh:

You shock bromine with chlorine (di-chlor is recommended) or MPS (non-chlorine shock). When you shock the tub it re-establishes the bromine that has been "used up". Tablets that you put in a feeder are usually a bromine/chlorine mix, but shocking is still needed in most cases to super oxidize the water.

Rinsing the filter will help, but have you cleaned it? Foam is from sweat,soap,deaoderant ect that is in the water. Shocking the tub will help this and you can also try a clarifier. Be careful to what kind of clarifer you use, so are oil based and IMO stink. Clean you filters after running a clarifer a day ot 2 later.

Great advice.

I have a chemical for soaking the filter in. I will give that a try as well as shocking with a non-chlorine shock.

Thanks