Inground Elevated Spa Draining Into Pool

I have an in-ground gunite swimming pool with an in-ground spa which is elevated 6" above the pool level. Every evening when the pumps shut off the spa appears to drain back into the swimming pool.

I have replaced the Jandy check valve and this has not solved the problem.

I then checked the spa for leaks and I do not believe that I have a leak because the water goes to the same level every evening and this level is higher than any of the jets and water inlets which I suspect would be the main source of a leak.

It appears to drain quickly at first then the last couple of inches drain slowly until the water level in the spa is equal to that which is in the swimming pool.

What else could be causing the spa to drain into the pool?

Do you have automation on this pool? When valve actuators quit working they remain in the position they were last in. Spa? They rarely stop in the middle of rotation. One breaks and the other rotates normally creating either spa drain or spa fill condition. Check to confirm that the valves are in the correct positions. Hopefully you know which pipes are pool and spa. Something else to check if you have an in floor cleaning system, If you have pop up heads in the spa, Then there is another check valve you have to look at. That one may not be so easy to locate. It should be somewhere near the distributor valve.

The check valve is a Jandy. When I replaced it, I replaced the flapper and spring as well as the clear plastic cover and gasket.

My pool is not automatic. It is all manual. It is interesting that you mention that the 3way valves could be an issue because in my prior house, all my pool equipment was automated so I basicly taught myself how to work the manual equipment when I moved into this house. The first time the spa drained back into the pool is the first time I used the spa after I moved into this house and it has been doing this ever since. This leads me to believe that I may not have put the 3 way valves back into the proper position after my initial use. How do I know what the proper position is? Below is how I currently have my 3 way valves set...

Suction: Suction is set to be about 20% from the spa and 80% from the pool

Return: Return is set to be about 80% to the spa and 20% to the pool.

Note I have set these valves to these positions so that I get the proper flow of water into the spa so that water flows over the spillway back into the pool.

There is you problem... The valves are not set correctly, especially your suction valve. The suction valve should be completely closed to the spa and opened all the way to skimmer, and vac line, if so equipped. Depending on how your pool is plumbed, the return could need to be 100% to the pool, (if you have a by pass line w/ check valve ) or anywhere from 20spa 80 pool to 50/50. I never set it 80 spa and 20 pool.

The main reason here that your having the problem is the suctino line being even partially opened to the spa. When the pump turns off, the water in the spa wants to seek equilibrium with the pool and gravity drains it back down to the pool.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Nope, the problem with leaving the spa suction open is that the spa will try to equalize with the pool when the pump shuts down. If you just put water in the spa, (via spa by-pass) let it fill up and spill over, You're getting plenty of circ. If you're still getting algae, open the by-pass more.

I set the suction valve to 0% spa, however the spa still drained into the pool.

I then set the suction valve to 0% spa AND set the return valve to 0% pool and the spa again still drainied into the pool.

Any other ideas what might be causing the spa to drain into the pool?

When the pump shuts off, I can hear gurgling noises coming from the filter/return pvc pipes. I see no sign of water leaks around the spa, nor around the filter or plumbing.

You didn't mention as to weather or not you had an infloor cleaner, Do You?

Are your pool/ spa valves Jandy as well? If so, take them apart, like you did with the check valve. Is the sealing surface of the diverter have rubber on it/ or is it a white hard plastic (teflon) type? If rubber, that could be where the water is going past. Replace the diverters with the new teflon type.

• 9 months later...

My pool does the same thing but my issue is that when i have full suction on the spa and closs of the return to the spa and shut the pump off it still pumps water back in to the spa (although at a slower rate). How do I get that water to stop? I am trying to replace the bulb and if I leave the suction on the spa I am worried about pulling too much air in to the system. if I have the pump on the return pumps water out of one jet when the spa is closed and when the spa is open then it pumps it out of the 5 other jets. Any advice? Thank you

One way to get filtered water to the spa to keep it clear during the times its not being used, is there will be a "pool" return in the spa, in which case you have to get an expandable plug and put it in the line to stop the water. The other way is to tee off main line return and with a valve to control, run it to the spa return side (spa by-pass), in that case, you just close the valve. If you have a raised spa, it will probably be that one. now the trick is to find which valve that one is. If you can post a pic of the return side plumbing at the pad, i could maybe tell you which one it is.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey y’all. I’ve got a similar issue where my spa is draining but it’s actually draining BELOW the pool water equilibrium line! I can’t figure out where it’s going. I had the system checked for leaks a few weeks ago and I don’t feel like they were able to identify why this was happening. They said it’s leaking into the pool and going out of the overflow. But how can that be when the spa water level is far below the pool overflow and the pool water stays level?