Best Liner Underlayment For Ag Pool?

BigRicky

What is everyone's opinion on liner underlayment? There is the foam type and the geotextile type. The foam looks like it might rip and not protect against grasses or stones. The geotextile looks strong but might not work as well preventing footprints as well as the foam.

I live in a sandy area. I'm planning on scraping off the topsoil down to sand with a backhoe. Then taking out any noticable stones. I don't want to have to screen the sand. I did that on a previous pool and it is a tedious job. Plus over time the sub surface rocks still seem to work their way up. So this time, I thought about putting in pond liner geotextile for the rock protection, and then a layer of the foam for the footprint protection.

What about putting in both types? Is it overkill?

What about pond liner geotextile instead of the precut pads?

I'm wondering what other people have done, the end result, and if they are happy with the decision.

Thanks

What is everyone's opinion on liner underlayment? There is the foam type and the geotextile type. The foam looks like it might rip and not protect against grasses or stones. The geotextile looks strong but might not work as well preventing footprints as well as the foam.

I live in a sandy area. I'm planning on scraping off the topsoil down to sand with a backhoe. Then taking out any noticable stones. I don't want to have to screen the sand. I did that on a previous pool and it is a tedious job. Plus over time the sub surface rocks still seem to work their way up. So this time, I thought about putting in pond liner geotextile for the rock protection, and then a layer of the foam for the footprint protection.

What about putting in both types? Is it overkill?

What about pond liner geotextile instead of the precut pads?

I'm wondering what other people have done, the end result, and if they are happy with the decision.

Thanks

i use,i don''t now the name (fake grass),works fine.

21062008297.jpg

21062008301.jpg

The guy that installed our first pool put in a gunite floor just like he normally puts in for vinyl liner in-ground pools. It's a soft concrete that doesn't hurt vinyl liners - it's a permanent floor still under our second pool and over 20 years old.

Makes a great smooth and solid under liner surface. He put this flooring under entire pool floor including the extended depth and all around center main drain.

I imagine a DIY type person could buy this stuff, mix it and apply it himself/herself. If you plan on having a pool for a long time this is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

We instaled our 24' above ground pool last July. We bought the 2" blue foam insulation from lowes and put down under the liner. We had to cut it it fit the shape of the pool and then blew through about 20 rolls off duct tape to secure it all together.

It has been the best thing ever! My parents pool has had a sand bottom for over 20 years (yes it is still standing) and the bottom of their pool is rough and bumpy to walk on on. Mine is soft and smooth!

I will tell you that when dirt gets in the pool, it seems to lie in the seems, but that is the only time you can even tell where the seems are. If I had to do over again, I would have gotten the happy bottom and put on top the blue foam for and extra layer of protection.

Good luck! If you go with my reccomendation, you will not be dissapointed!

On most of my installs My base is made of crusherfines completely compacted then geotextile on top then liner. The only other way I will use Stryo is if geotextile is put over top only because it prevents the seams and indents from the styro showing up over time. I have built over 100 pools with the first method.