Help Please!

madiba

I live in North San Diego County and am about to put in a medium sized pool. I have got quotes from about 5 companies and the most attractive seem to be Premier Pools (Ron Detrich) and California Pools (Christian) I belive that Premier is headquarted in Sacramento and California somewhere in LA. Both bids seem to be about equal and I have similiar feelings about the individual's promise on how he "is the best pool builder in the world". Are either of these companies to be avoided or used? Please any help would be great.

Oh anything thing is that I was told is that this is the time to get a "deal" because the companies are feeling the effects of the economic downturn and might be more willing to lower construction prices? With this in mind, I feel like both companies are really putting the "squeeze" on me with regards to adding that little bit extra and going over my budget. The extras I want: solar, water feature, pebbletec etc. are important, but they all seem unable to fit everything in and leave out one item everytime. This causes the quote to always be about 2-3 thousand more than I want to spend. Frustating to say the least.

Back off a bit, tell them you're not sure yet. Tell them they weren't the lowest price and don't tell them what the lower price was. see if they call you with a better price to get your business like they say everyone is in these times...

Disturbing quote: he "is the best pool builder in the world". I would hand the guys card back and say "no thank you"

Don't be in a hurry. The season is winding down. I'm not sure, and lets be honest, the contractor doesn't know ether, if you will be swimming this season.

• 2 months later...

It might be a scenario where you weigh which option can be done at a later date as a rennovation when you are more adequately funded. My opinion would be the solar. It isn't directly integral in the construction of the pool, and at that later date you will be able to deal directly with the solar company where you pay direct with no management/percentage fee being paid to the pool contractor.

• 4 months later...

I agree with Pool Clown, tell them you had a better offer you are considering. Don't tell them how much less it was but that you are still weighing things and getting more bids. They will probably come down alot, but just make sure everything they tell you is itemized in the bid and that everything you talked about is on there and nothing has been omitted. That way they can't come back later with the extra thousands you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would NOT recommend Premier Pools - we are in the last stages of a build, have had to have the cement coping torn out and repoured FOUR times because the quality was so poor - we chose a colored/stamped coping style.

We had to pay more money to get them to pour for the fourth time because they acknowledged only a portion of it needed repaired (raised bond beam wall was lopsided and wavy) but all of it needed replaced so we agreed to pay just to avoid a dispute and get the pool done.

During the last pour they put three large cracks in the coping while they were trying to add the stamp texture. They told us the cracks are not a big deal and now they just want their money (told us to fill it and enjoy) - put a lien on our home because we refuse to pay for the cracked coping.

We are hoping the CSLB can help arbitrate the dispute. Day of dig was back in March and now its August - with no end in sight.