First Time Buyer...where To Get Educated?

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 2 person spa. I live in the way north so need a 220 for sure and extra insulation. I have Arthritis and Fibro issues, so am looking to help those conditions. I am looking at two different Nordic models, and a Dimension one spa and a garden spa and maybe something else. I just started. I really don't want to spend more than 4,000. if possible, I guess what I want to know from experienced people is, what all do I need to look for? What is important? I live in a pretty rural area, and there are probably only a few to choose from if I want somewhat of a local dealer when the time comes, unless I go about 3 hours away to Green Bay.

Seating? How deep the water is? Number of jets? horse power? etc?

Also, I would like to avoid chorine and bromine so is there someway to get one which doesn't have the need for chemicals?

Thanks, it is overwhelming and I am finding it hard to find objective, as in people not selling, information but did come across this forum so am seeing what I can find.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Your best bet is probably a Nordic D'Amour. Nordic hot tubs are fairly simple, as hot tubs go... but they do use high quality components- Balboa heater/electronics, Aquaflo XP2 pumps. You shouldn't have many issues with this brand at all. If, for some reason, you do, you can get the components from almost anywhere.

They are not fully insulated, but you can order them with an extra title 20 insulation option. You should definitely opt for this, as it is an inexpensive addition.

The D'Amour is available in three different package- 110v, MS, or SE. You should go with the MS, which has the option to be wired 110v/220v, and you should wire it 220v. This will run the heater at 4 kw instead of 1 kw. Since this hot tub does not have a circulation pump, that will help keep the cost of running it down. It will also improve functionality in colder weather if you are trying to run the pumps on high speed and it calls for heat.

The D'Amour is a fairly deep hot tub. The two seats are actually different heights. One is two inches higher than the other, although I'm not exactly sure of the depth.

The best way to avoid chemicals is an EcoSmarte system, but they are expensive and the D'Amour is already going to be near (if not slightly above) your $4000 budget. You could look into an alternative to chlorine or bromine, like a hydrogen peroxide based sanitizer. My recommendation would be to go with chlorine or bromine if you don't have an allergy. You can keep the levels much lower than you've probably experienced in public pools or hot tubs.

Let me know if you are looking for any other information, or if you have any questions about any brands specifically. I don't know all of them, but I do know a bunch!

Spa sage,

I am getting serious about the D' amore from Nordic for two reasons. I live in Michigan where they are made, I like the price, and I have a local dealer. Ok, that's three reasons....anyways, I also really need something for my neck and shoulders. So wondering about that with the damoure. Is it deep enough? Also, never considered this before, but the round tubs might be nice as there is more freedom of movement? What is the advantage of bucket seats? More distinct jet pressure? I have never been in a hot tub other than hotel ones which of course are all round. Can anyone chime in on free seating vs bucket seating? Remember, 90% of the time! I'm by my lonesome. Thanks.

Spa sage,

I am getting serious about the D' amore from Nordic for two reasons. I live in Michigan where they are made, I like the price, and I have a local dealer. Ok, that's three reasons....anyways, I also really need something for my neck and shoulders. So wondering about that with the damoure. Is it deep enough? Also, never considered this before, but the round tubs might be nice as there is more freedom of movement? What is the advantage of bucket seats? More distinct jet pressure? I have never been in a hot tub other than hotel ones which of course are all round. Can anyone chime in on free seating vs bucket seating? Remember, 90% of the time! I'm by my lonesome. Thanks.