Winter Cover Vs Wind

QueenQuad

I need some serious help and input!!! We have an above ground 16' x 32' Dough-boy pool. The last 3 winters our winter covers (new each year) have ripped and dumped the contents into our pool, forcing us to drain the entire pool and do some serious cleaning from the sludge (leaves and dirt) that fell in it. This year the cover ripped in January, so we are sitting with a half exposed pool since there's really nothing we can do about it for another month when it warms up for pool season.

The PROBLEM is the WIND!! We have put water on top of the pool cover, tight clamps on the south side of the pool where it catches the most wind, but this time the north end ripped end to end. Does anyone have any ideas to how we can better keep the wind from thrashing our winter cover all around?? It gets so bad it takes the water right off the top and virtually throws it at the house. I'm at my wits ends as to what to do for next winter, and would really like to have a plan in place before next fall gets here. We've had this pool since 2006 and hasn't been an issue til these last 3 winters and the wind we've had.

PLEASE, if anyone has any ideas, please share them with me! Would be much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Yeah, your situation sounds as if it might be better to cut your losses, drain the pool over the winter, and then clean and refill it in the spring.

Or you could look into putting something heavy-duty on top of the covers, to try and stop 'em from ripping, something like sheets of wood or something like that...