First Time Pool Spa Combo

Hi all,

I'll be building a pool with spa in the next several months. I've got a few questions as I move forward. I'm sure my builder can answer the question, but I'd rather get the info from unbiased folks.

My pool will be around 13K gallons.

First, I don't want to heat my pool since I'm in South Florida, yet would like to heat the spa. I'm guessing this is possible and not a big deal for the builder. So, I assume I would need a much smaller hearter for just the spa. I don't know how many gallons the spa will be but I plan on having it large enough for 6 people. Any recommendations on heaters.

Are the pool and spa's water interconnected and thus go through the same pump, filter, and chlorine generator? If so, how do I keep my "hot" water from constantly drawing in cool pool water?

I see these spas that have their water spilling into the pool (nice water feature), but doesn't that lead to a lot of wasting energy/hot water.

Any advice on building a pool spa combo would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Badger

For a pool that size you could get by with one variable speed pump to operate pool, spa, & jets. You also only need one heater. Typically, while in pool mode (with the water spilling over), the water is not heated. When you want to use the spa, you switch over to spa mode, the water stops spilling over and only circulates in the spa. With the proper heater, the water will heat very quickly, 20-30 min. I personally prefer Raypak heaters.

I would recommend Pentair EasyTouch automation to control everything. With the Easy Touch, you can program the times when you want to be in spa mode, that way it is ready for you when you want to use it. For example, if you think you will use it every evening after work, or every night before bed, you can program in those times.

In addition, you could upgrade to Screen Logic and you could switch over to spa mode on the way home from the grocery store, or wherever and it would be ready when you get there.

Of course, I don't know your budget, so I'm just throwing out there what is typically done with a pool/spa combo. I would strongly recommend going this route though...you will get far more enjoyment out of it.

Thanks for the info. So then as I understand it, if I want to keep my spa heated for a extended period of time I wouldn't be circulating the spa water. If I heat my spa to 102 degrees, cover it with the intention of using it the next day that water would not be turned over - correct? I'm just thinking of the cost of having to heat the spa from 70 degrees (since the pool isn't going to be heated) to 100 on a daily basis. Is there an economical way to completely separate the pool and spa. Or is that just not done?

Badger

You can always keep them separate. If you wanted a waterfall effect, you could have a sheer descent in the wall of the spa, pumped from the pool.

If they are separate, now you need two pumps, two filters, larger equipment pad. You would have to run the numbers based on how much you will be paying for the pumps and the additional energy used vs. having one pump/filter do it all and heating the water only when you will be using it. I would say at this point, talk to your builder about your ideas and see how much each is going to cost for the build. Then you can figure the energy costs for each.