Found And Plugged Leak In Gunite Inground Pool

aGrandma

This might help someone else who has a leak in their inground pool since I read it's the most common leak location. We noticed our pool was having to be filled often so performed the bucket test (google it and/or look for youtube videos if you don't know what that is), and it was losing 1/2" of water per day. It lost the same amount whether the pump was on or not, so that eliminated the pump itself as being the problem. Then we stopped the pump and let the water level drop for 2 days to see where the water stopped dropping. It stopped before it got to the bottom of the hole where the skimmer basket is. Then we knew the leak was above that level. According to everything I read and saw on youtube, the most common leak happens where the plastic skimmer area meets the concrete, inside where the plastic flapper is. A few years ago I had a leak in the same place and plugged it with a stiff putty - which obviously worked for a long time! I cleaned it as good as I could and this time I used a good quality silicone. I let it dry then did a 2nd coat of silicone, then refilled the pool. I'm so happy it's no longer leaking.

The strange thing is, I don't know how so much water can leak from such a tiny crack. In fact I would never have guessed there was a leak there at all, you can't see it. And I have no idea where all that water went - there is no moisture anywhere that we can see.