A&a Popup Cleanng Heads

I am not pool person and do not know all the right terms but I wanted to share my experince with the problem I solved with my pool's popups.

The gears kept sticking at the one and same point and thereby causing only one set of popups of a 5 port valve were working.

I replaced the gears.

The popups would cycle once and then the same popups would freeze up.

I took everything apart, again, and noticed the metal stem in the center was worn down on one side.

I mean flat. About 1/2 the thickness of the remaining stem.

So, I replaced the stem.

Put it all together and once again the popups cycled and stopped at the same place and refused to cycle further.

Again I took the dome off and noticed that the gears were high on one side of the attenuator's teeth and low on opposite side. And it wiggled. Rocked back and forth.

I took it all apart.

Turned the plate, on which the gears were sitting, over and notice that the cam's center hole was oval instead of round. Probably worn down by years of turning on the bad center stem.

Since the cam did not come as a seperate part, I was told he did not have a spare, so replaced the entire works again...

And now the popups are working fine. Cycling through all the stages as expected.

I hope this helps someone else who may have a problem that seems to have no obvious solution.