Adding Chlorine Stabilizer

What time of day is the best time to add the chlorine stabilizer? Also how long after adding can I get into the pool.thanks

It doesn't matter when you add it, though if your pool is very low in Cyanuric Acid (CYA, aka stabilizer or conditioner), then doing so right away will protect chlorine breakdown from sunlight.

You can go into the pool immediately after adding it. It dissolves VERY slowly, taking days. In fact, if you want it to dissolve faster, then put it in a sock or stocking and hang it over a return flow. Or you can put it into a sock or stocking or skimmer sock or old T-shirt in the skimmer, but make sure there is alternate water flow (i.e. other skimmers or floor drains or a bypass for the skimmer into the pool) since it will block most of the skimmer flow initially. It will then dissolve in less than 8 hours if the pump is running at high speed.

• 4 months later...

Hi, you answered a question for me a few weeks ago about our cloudy water after opening, and after giving it time our water looks great. Now I have two problems. After shocking the pool in the evening, we are able to maintain a free chlorine reading of about 4 ppm overnight. I go home at lunch and bring some water back to work with me to test, and verify that the free and total chlorine are about 4.1 and 4.5. But, by the time I get home in the evening the chlorine has dropped to nothing. 350-018 We have a chlorinator that we keep tri-chlor tablets in but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working. We even added some tablets to our skimmer basket (this is not our normal practice) just to make sure it wasn't the chlorinator. In past seasons, if we loaded our chlorinator up, even at a low setting, it would over chlorinate the pool big time. So we would always keep about two tablets in and this would last 3 or 4 days, even in hot weather. It's still cool (temp is about 65) so why are the tablets not working? Is it time to load the chlorinator up? 640-721 So every time our chlorine drops to zero, we shock again, and the same thing happens. Our pH is now dropping below acceptable range too. The other question is our stabilizer level. When using the drop turbidity test, results indicate that level is too high and we have been able to get it down to 100, 70-562 with partial water changes. However, if I test with test strips, they indicate that there is no stabilizer. It doesn't change color at all. All other parameters on the test strip are very close to what I get with a kit, or here at work. If there really was not stabilizer, this would explain the chlorine not lasting right? But I thought the drop turbidity test was most accurate. We have a 24' x 52" above ground pool. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It is because the cynuric acid is very low or zero. Put cynuric acid on your pool at least 10mg/L. Check the cyniric level before adding. Note : high cynuric acid will make the water cloudy. Low to Zero cynuric acid you will loss chlorine very very fast let us say wihtin one day. To elevate cynuric acid in your pool, you add cynuric acid. To lower the cynuric acid delution of water. I will give you the formula on how much cynuric acid you will add after you can give me the reading and the size of your pool including the depth. Can you e-mail me the reading of your parameters. Can you give me chlorine, Ph, calcium hardness, cynuric acid and alkalanity. Thanks

Hi, you answered a question for me a few weeks ago about our cloudy water after opening, and after giving it time our water looks great. Now I have two problems. After shocking the pool in the evening, we are able to maintain a free chlorine reading of about 4 ppm overnight. I go home at lunch and bring some water back to work with me to test, and verify that the free and total chlorine are about 4.1 and 4.5. But, by the time I get home in the evening the chlorine has dropped to nothing. 350-018 We have a chlorinator that we keep tri-chlor tablets in but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working. We even added some tablets to our skimmer basket (this is not our normal practice) just to make sure it wasn't the chlorinator. In past seasons, if we loaded our chlorinator up, even at a low setting, it would over chlorinate the pool big time. So we would always keep about two tablets in and this would last 3 or 4 days, even in hot weather. It's still cool (temp is about 65) so why are the tablets not working? Is it time to load the chlorinator up? 640-721 So every time our chlorine drops to zero, we shock again, and the same thing happens. Our pH is now dropping below acceptable range too. The other question is our stabilizer level. When using the drop turbidity test, results indicate that level is too high and we have been able to get it down to 100, 70-562 with partial water changes. However, if I test with test strips, they indicate that there is no stabilizer. It doesn't change color at all. All other parameters on the test strip are very close to what I get with a kit, or here at work. If there really was not stabilizer, this would explain the chlorine not lasting right? But I thought the drop turbidity test was most accurate. We have a 24' x 52" above ground pool. Thanks.