Gfci Trips Immediately When Applying Power

kellyc

Hi,

My first post on this forum. I have gained a great deal of knowledge just reading discussions, but now have a specific problem that I didn't find a direct answer for:

My spa has been working fine. Figured it was due for change of water. So, turned off breaker, drained the tub, refilled it and turned breaker on - no power. After investigating, I found the GFCI breaker is tripped. It trips immediately each time I try to turn it on.

I found some discussion about troubleshooting GFCI problems. I unplugged various components 1 by 1 but it still trips. Finally, I unplugged both of the leads to the heater element. Now, the tub powers up and I can cycle through all the functions. If I connect one lead (the right-hand side, it will again power up. But if I connect only the left side, the GFCI will trip.

Does this indicate the heater element is bad and must be replaced?

Any idea why this would happen when all I did was a routine water change?

It is a "Strong Spa" with Balboa electronics and heater element.

My control module and heater look very similar to the picture in this post: http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45372#entry174767

Thanks,

-Kelly

I had this issue recently. The GFCI breaker tripped instantly when I tried to power up. It wasn't the heater. I assume it was the (old NuWave) board. I put in a new Balboa spa pack and the GFCI still tripped! I put in a new GFCI breaker and that tripped too. I put in a non GFCI(for testing only!) and it worked. I contacted Balboa support and the tech told me that the most common cause is incorrect GFCI breaker installation. Make sure the white common/neutral power wire going to the spa pack is in the breaker, not the bus bar that the white and ground from the main panel are in.

I checked and sure enough, that was the problem. Works now. What I don't understand is why it worked before. I must assume that some idiot(me) hooked it up wrong somewhere along the way during the swapout. (and hopefully the old panel really was bad)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I had the same problem. Disconnected the spa wiring from the breaker to test the breaker - breaker stayed on fine. Reconnected then spa. Disconnected the heater (both the power contacts and sensor wires) - breaker tripped. Disconnected the blower motor - behold, the breaker stopped tripping and the spa showed a sensor error. Left the blower disconnected, reconnected the heater contacts and sensors, and the spa has been heating for the past three hours just fine. The jets work but I have no bubbles until I replace the blower motor - no big loss there. I'm very happy I can get the water heated before the incoming freeze this weekend :)

2 hours ago, siliconrockstar said:

I have no bubbles until I replace the blower motor

Always best to start your own thread.

Your blower has likely failed due to a broken one way check valve that has let water get past and into the blower causing the short/GFCI trip. The blower might still work if the check valve is replaced and the blower dried out

@siliconrockstar

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...