Buying A Used Hot Springs Sovereign

Hello, I just found this forum and in perfect timing. My husband and I are considering purchasing a used 2005 Hot Springs Sovereign HP from a friend. Since this is our first hot tub purchase we have decided to try out a used one. She is asking $2,000 but we need to buy a new cover & somehow get it to our house. I've been doing some research and Hot Springs is definitely a great company but I'm not sure if $2k is too high or if we should even consider a model this old.

I would really appreciate any input given. Thanks so much in advance.

Its fdifficult to say whats its worth without seeing it filled with water and operating as its all about condition on used spas but I'd say for a spa that age about 25% of the original price (as a general guidleine) assuming its in good working order so I think its high by about $500 probably. As to whether you should consider a model age, its the same as buying a car that old, you take a chance it'll work well for you and pay far less than if it were new of just a couple years old.

Check and be certain everything works, like the moto-massage jet, any tub of that age that needs a new cover is $1500 max.

The Sovereign is probably the most popular of all HotSpring models, and one that was made in 2005 is virtually new and should hold its value, if regularly used and well looked after. We are still serving customers that we first sold a Sovereign to over 16 years ago, often with no or very few problems in that time.

As Spa Guru says, you have to make sure everything works as it should, and then factor in a new cover.

Dealership price on a 2005 Sovereign, with cover and short warranty, would be about $3500-4000 here in the UK.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm heading to the Hot Springs store today to price covers and see if they can arrange moving it for me. Also, they sold it it my friend so they may have some input as well. If they can't move it or the price is ridiculously high, I'll probably get a bunch of friends together and give them pizza and beer...but I'm a little apprehensive about doing that.

I've been reading that many times when a hot tub is moved it develops leaks. Do any of you know what I can expect there?

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Let the professionals move the spa. It is worth every penny.

B)