Chlorine Testing As Bromine

mc1815

why? I add powder and liquid chlorine in large amounts and chlorine continues to read zero ppm, while bromine keeps registering. I've tested the strips I use in a bit of water with chlorine and the strip indicator does function to read the chlorine. Is there some catalyst in the pool that breaks down chlorine to bromine or what?

What test kit are you using where chlorine reads zero? For standard test kits such as OTO (yellow), DPD (red/pink), and FAS-DPD (red/pink to clear adding drops), both chlorine and bromine register and are indistinguishable.

What do you mean "bromine keeps registering"? How are you measuring bromine separately from chlorine?

It sounds like you are using test strips. They are generally not very reliable, but my best guess is that your chlorine level may be too high so that it is bleaching out the chlorine test. If you were to use a proper test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 then you would at least see a flash of pink when you add the DPD powder in the FAS-DPD chlorine test and could add more powder to get a color and can then accurately determine chlorine levels even up to 50 ppm.

I don't know what test strips you are using so don't know how they are working. If you have a link to them then maybe I can try and figure this out, but really you should just get yourself a proper test kit.