What To Use To Protect Vinyl Cover?

Venams

Armor All is the absolute worst thing you can use. It pulls out and removes the natural protective propertied of the vinyl, replacing them with it's own. If you don't CONTINUALLY and frequently use it, the vinyl will quickly deteriorate.

Do not use anything that is petroleum based (such as Armor All). 303 Protectant is the best, followed by Son-of-a-Gun.

• 2 months later...

sc5.4 - make sure that if you buy a cover - custom fit it -- measure it, all hot tubs are slightly different. Made that mistake on my last hot tub , had a cover that was essentially worthless. Not with my Arctic, though...

sc5.4 - make sure that if you buy a cover - custom fit it -- measure it, all hot tubs are slightly different. Made that mistake on my last hot tub , had a cover that was essentially worthless. Not with my Arctic, though...

I ordered the cover from the store where I bought it. They had a form to fill out all the measurements (which I did). They seemed to only really need the model of spa and what color I wanted.

Yeah but even every hot tub is a little different. Again 303 Aerospace Protectant -- and, if you live in a snow area, use the SNO-BRUM.

Picked up the new cover and it fits perfect. No snow here in San Diego. We do have a West Marine...so I can get some 303 Protectant.

This thread is timely for me, as it looks like I'm buying a new cover soon, per my other recent posts.

Question. Is it basically a given that you have to "maintain" a tub cover to keep the outer surface healthy? Or does anyone make a cover whose outer surface is so stout that it will hold up for say, 10 years through summer sun and winter freezes with no maintenance.

My tub & cover are currently 4.5 years old. I stupidly ruined my cover last winter trying to scrape ice off of it with a shovel, but it occurs to me it may have already been ruined. The outer surface is very dried out and brittle. It feels ready to crack.

There are no trees directly over my tub; the sun hits the cover pretty hard and I've done zero maintenance on the cover. Won't make that mistake again!

There are a number of very different qualities of vinyl used in spa covers. Just looking at them, you'd never be able to tell the difference. There's two ratings you want to look at and compare. The UV rating, and the pigment ratings. The highest UV rating is 1500 hours (the lowest I've seen is 500 hours). Pigment rating runs up to 500.

There's also the thickness, or weight of the vinyl. Weight is measured by the lineal yard (36" x 54"). It can run anywhere from 23oz up to about 32oz. The vast majority used by most cover manufacturers is 28oz - 29oz (anyone that does say they're using something higher, ASK for documentation to back it up)

If you can apply 303 every other month, you'll be doing better than most. Once a month would be preferred.

• 2 weeks later...

Two or three times a year, ne_skier, but I should probably do it five-six times a year.

The Sno-brum is available at some stores - hardware stores, etc. I bought mine at Kittery Trading Post. Clears the snow off non-abrasively. Depending on where you buy it it's $20-25 US.

303 Aerospace Protectant is readily available.