Help With A Leaking Pool

daphne22

My 3-year old fiberglass pool has a leak. I noticed several days ago that something seemed off. I marked the level of the pool and, with the pump running, the water level dropped about 1 inch in 4 days. Then, I turned the pump off. Wow! I lost another 10 inches in about 1 1/2 days. I've looked all around and cannot detect where all of that water is going. I've done some quick google research and come across the subjects of suction side leaks and return side leaks. From what I read, it seems that I have a suction side leak, based on the fact that water loss increased with the pump off. However, I never noticed air in the pump basket nor air bubbles from the return ports. What is perplexing to me is this: If the leak is between the skimmer and the pump, how did the water level drop 5 inch below the bottom edge of the skimmer. I would think that it would have stopped there. At this point, the water level seem to have stabilized. The underwater light is still underwater. The return ports are just above the water line. Is this a suction side leak or a return side leak? Or both? With all that water leaking under my pool, is the pool going to pop up and float away, in search of a better home? Your input is greatly appreciated.

My 3-year old fiberglass pool has a leak. I noticed several days ago that something seemed off. I marked the level of the pool and, with the pump running, the water level dropped about 1 inch in 4 days. Then, I turned the pump off. Wow! I lost another 10 inches in about 1 1/2 days. I've looked all around and cannot detect where all of that water is going. I've done some quick google research and come across the subjects of suction side leaks and return side leaks. From what I read, it seems that I have a suction side leak, based on the fact that water loss increased with the pump off. However, I never noticed air in the pump basket nor air bubbles from the return ports. What is perplexing to me is this: If the leak is between the skimmer and the pump, how did the water level drop 5 inch below the bottom edge of the skimmer. I would think that it would have stopped there. At this point, the water level seem to have stabilized. The underwater light is still underwater. The return ports are just above the water line. Is this a suction side leak or a return side leak? Or both? With all that water leaking under my pool, is the pool going to pop up and float away, in search of a better home? Your input is greatly appreciated.

There is a danger that your pool could float out of the ground whether it is a fiberglass pool or any other type pool. My suggestion would be to call a leak detection company such as american leak detectors. They can pinpoint the leak and help you determine what to do to fix it. In a lot of instances they can fix the problem for you. It will cost you at least a couple of hundred dollars for them to come out but they are experts at finding leaks. You could waste a lot of valuable time trying to track the leak down yourself, and the more time you waste, the more damage you can do to your pool. That water you are losing is going somewhere. Don't let the water in your pool drop too much lower than your skimmer intake so the sides of the pool have no chance to bulge in towards the pool.

Thanks, Don, for your advise. I gonna get on this right away.

You are welcome. I have had a few leaks in plumbing on the pools I have built over the years and I have found that some leaks can be found through the process of elimination or isolalated to the suction or return lines, but even when you determine which line is leaking, where it is leaking from is a difficult task. I learned that you are just better off paying the leak detection company to pinpoint the source of the leak. If it is leaking under the concrete decking they can normally cut only a small square of concrete out and fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

A good leak detection service is absolutely the way to go! I would pick a company that has been around for a while and has service technicians that know what they are doing and have a lot of experience. American Leak has a 6 week training course to open a new franchise. I use United Leak Detection for our pool leaks. Their website it www.unitedleak.com their number is (888)422-LEAK. They have about 20 or 25 years of experience, and they always find my pools leaks quickly, and then I can fix them fast and the homeowners are happy.

@my pools leak sometimes <_<

You've answered some other "leak" posts on this forum that are 2 1/2 years old, one of which was nothing more than a link to your website!

If your plan is to come here to help consumers with valuable information then, by all means, the folks here will welcome you.

But if your plan is to come here to spam, then please take it elsewhere. That type of activity will do nothing more than devalue the forum in general. If that was all any of us did, why would the customer even bother to come here in the first place. They can see that kind of clutter anywhere else.

If you have a problem with my opinion, please feel free to post it here or to send me an email.

John

• 8 years later...

I've put my thinking cap on and here goes?Build a collection tray into which the leak will drip, from the bottom of that try run a tube into a black plastic tank. Into this tank place a small pump, one from a fish tank should do. Connect a tube to the pump to pump the water back into the pool.This will have the added bonus of the black tank acting as a water heater and rapidly increasing the temperature of your pool - by as much as 8c.Or you must contact Pool leak detection service.They are experts in leakage problems as well as waterproofing problems.

biggrin.gif