Whats Wrong With My Tub?

ShakerD

Hi Everyone

I am new to the tubing and just acquired a new to me used tub. I used the decontamination procedure out lined in the sticky of this forum.

The tub seemed to work fine until we actually used it the other day.

The tub is a 1999 beachcomber single motor, 2 speed, 4 man tub model #530

First time we got in the tub was set at 100 and it was around 75 degrees outside. It ran for 15 min then shut off like it is supposed to. I restarted the jets and it ran for 5 minutes then shut off. When I went to restart the pump it didn’t turn on but I could hear the solenoid ? clicking every time I pushed the button. Eventually it just started again by itself.

Today it was raining and 55 degrees. I sat in it for 3 full 15 minute cycles with out and issue.

Tonight it was around 50 degrees and it lasted one 15 min cycle and then the second cycle only lasted 5 minutes and the same thing happened again. It shut off. We stayed in the tub and about 15 min later it just started again by itself.

The problem seems to be intermittent. It doesn’t show any error code. You can hear something click when you push the button. The light works and so does the temperature control.

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Cheers

To me it sounds like your spa motor is overheating.

Do you have a 110 or 220 spa?

Do you have an amp clamp meter to check for the amp draw on the motor?

Hey ChaiSTi Thanks for your reply. I was sort of wondering if it was overheating.

The spa is 220v and I don't have anything but a really simple multi meter.

That being said I would be willing to buy one if it will tell me what is wrong.

Would I be looking at a new pump if this is the problem?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

So I talked to an experienced hot tub tech today and he said the problem is that the unit is over heating, thus shutting down.

He said this is normal and all you can do it put some holes in the case to add airflow?

Is this bs or what?

I find it hard to believe that 98% of the population on the continent lives south of me and I have a heat issue.

Anyone?

So I talked to an experienced hot tub tech today and he said the problem is that the unit is over heating, thus shutting down.

He said this is normal and all you can do it put some holes in the case to add airflow?

Is this bs or what?

I find it hard to believe that 98% of the population on the continent lives south of me and I have a heat issue.

Anyone?

That's pretty silly advice. No, it isn't normal. Chaisti was spot on. The motor needs to be rebuilt/replaced.