New To Hot Tubs....lots Of Questions

motorider

Hello all. I recently acquired a hot springs jet setter from a family friend for 300 in like new condition. It has never sat empty and has always been properly maintained. She used the bromine method. I am using the bromine as well.

I have a very nice rainsoft water softener. I have to fill my tub with this. Why do I have to harden it up? I have no scum or any buildup in my shower and it is 4 years old.

I have been reading here all evening and learning up on water chemistry. I'm ordering the test kit recommended here. Currently I'm having ultra modern pool and patio do the testing via a sample.

My first question is on filters. My tub has 3 of them in the housing. Ultra modern told me that one filter flows 90% of the water and the other 2 do little. Is that true? The reason I ask is that the Watkins filters that are in it are cracked on the rubber ends. I bought one tri x ceramic filter from them for $68. I was wandering if the extra cost is worth it? I would like simple and fast maintenance. Having 6 filters on hand would be nice but man that is a lot of dough.

Currently my water looks like this

Saturation idx .3

Cya 0

Total bromine .2

PH 8.2

TA 104

Hardness 58

Borate 6

One thing to note is that I had not added any shock to the system before this water test. I forgot to buy it. I have since shocked the tub. Now I know I can use bleach. I will have to retest again when I get my kit.

I will ask more questions once I get my new test kit.