Un-Brushable Algae

Bruce63

Greetings, Sensei of swimology.

I have a concrete pool-about 10 years old. This year (I think possibly due to the extraordinarily mild winter), our algae was a nightmare to get under control. To achieve clear water, we did a few rounds of shock at 100oz Day 1, 70 oz Day 2 , and 30 oz Day 3. Our pool is 39,000 gallons.

Finally, the pool is clear and the water is well balanced.

But we have a lot of algae that is adhered to the walls & floor that simply will not brush off-and is still green. We do brush it & the water clouds up until the filter pulls out the algae that is floating, but we still have algae embedded.

Our filter is a DE system, about 2-3 years old.

For the last couple of years, we moved away from the stabilized tablets because our water was "over-stabilized" to quote our local guy.

How do we remove the embedded algae?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Your prob sounds near to my problem but I am getting it under control. I am not sure if the black substance I see is algae but I am treating it as such -- I have messed up not cleaning my filters when I saw an algae outbreak -- this was embarrassing at a recent function which was suppose to be a pool party. I have learned my lesson. So now I have this black substance which could have come from using muriac acid - I think I have seen this substance last year but didnt recognize it as algae. I have read to take chlorine tablets and scrub the substance...well this is impossible -- I have scrubbed the areas of the wall and it works but no way will I do this for the entire pool -- for the substance at the bottom, I placed 2 tablets at the bottom and I am allowing the chlorine to bleach away the stains -- yes I have bleached circles stains at the bottom which looks better than the black substance which is either embedded algae or .... if you have problems with the walls, a good shock system should do the problem then use some chemicals for cloudy pools and patience. I have not found scrubbing the walls with an steel algae brush to be a problem, I brush every day. Be careful how much money you are spending and how many chemicals the pool supply store tries to sell to you -- one in particular is known for pushing chemicals -- the blue chemical for black algae did not work for me. I am also using a DE filter and keeping the filters cleaned and with the right about of DE makes a difference -- this is my 3rd year of having a pool and each year I learn something new -- I will create a pool cleaning bible for me to refer to next year so I do not repeat the same dumb moves. Each year, I have drained the pool because by September I am beat up with spending money and time. DIY is better than paying $75 to $90 per month. Good luck