Acceptable Calcium Hardness?

Venams

While trying to balance the intial fill on my brand new hot tub I believe I made a mistake.

The Taylor CH test said that it would turn red if CH was present. It appeared slightly pink but also looked similar to blue if you move it around in the light.

Anyway I added about 1 cup of SPAGUARD CH increaser and remeasured.

Now I'm reading the test correctly since it only makes a minor change from slight pink to blue. Test is now reading my CH at 190PPM.

Dichlor bleach method says 100-150ppm is OK. Do I need to worry about and try to change from that reading or can I leave it alone? Also does this change my TA and PH readings if added the CH increaser after those were balanced?

You should be OK if you keep the TA low at around 50 ppm and don't let the pH get too high -- try and keep it from getting above 7.8. If you are using 50 ppm Borates, then that should be easier to do.

The CH test has more subtle color changes so instead of calling it from red to blue the colors can be more faded. You can add more indicator dye since that won't change the results of the test, but will make the color more intense.

Chem Geek:

Went in to my new tub for the first time after balancing water first. PARAM below:

Temp 99

TA = 50ppm

PH = 7.6

CH = 190ppm

Boric Acid = 50ppm

FC= 5

* 550 gallons and has CD ozonator

3 of us bathed for about 1 hour in 550 gal tub (Hot Springs Gleam)

So per recommended dosage (3.5 tsp Diclor per bather per hour) I added about 1.7 OZ dichlor after the soak

24 hrs later I just rechecked FC and it is now 10.5 (Too high?) and PH is at 7.3 . I guess I added too much dichlor? Is the drop in PH normal?

So what should I do? Bring chlorine level down? add something else?