Shopping For A First Time Hot Tub Purchase

Hello I am new to this forum and looking to purchase my first hot tub. I have been looking a bit online and I am overwhelmed at the amount of choices and brands of hot tubs. A co worker of mine owns a tuff spa and has nothing but great things to say about it. So that is one brand I am considering. I have also seen a brand called lifespa has anyone here had any experience with them good or bad. On there website of course I see lots of positive reviews and other places on the web they are mixed. I am just looking for honest feedback. I am also considering costco as an option. I don't want to spend more than 3-4k on a hottub can I realistically get a decent one for my budget or should I wait til I can invest more? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks again for your advice folks .

Mark

Made in China

If you owned a company, and your company had a website, would you allow any negative reviews on YOUR web site? Come on,. really?

IMHO; Anyone that offers you a brand new product, that says it's worth $7595, yet they're normally selling it for $3250...if offering you a product that's probably worth LESS than $3250.

I own a Hot Spot Rythym and I couldnt be happier. At $5200 out the door I feel that it was a reasonable deal and it suits our family very well. It has led color changing lights, water fall, seats 7 and has more than enough jets for me. Out of the box it will heat to 106 with no modifications and will even heat 5 degrees in 2 hours with pumps running and cover on and heater off. Insulation seems very adequate as it takes 2 days for the temp to drop 2 degrees from set point. My spa gets about 6 hours of sun.

Cons...ive had some of the smaller jet covers fall off which is an easy fix either by me or the tech since its under warranty. An o-ring on jet bottom fixes problem or a dab of silicone under jet cover. I dont feel I should have to fix, but its not a deal breaker for me...it should have been addressed prior to my pickup though.

I looked at some cheaper spas but felt the hot spot which is made by Watkins was a very solid unit. Fit and finish is very good with the exceptions of the smallers jets...would I purchase another one, sure would...no hesitation.

I own a Hot Spot Rythym and I couldnt be happier. At $5200 out the door I feel that it was a reasonable deal and it suits our family very well. It has led color changing lights, water fall, seats 7 and has more than enough jets for me. Out of the box it will heat to 106 with no modifications and will even heat 5 degrees in 2 hours with pumps running and cover on and heater off. Insulation seems very adequate as it takes 2 days for the temp to drop 2 degrees from set point. My spa gets about 6 hours of sun.

Just curious, what year was your tub built? Everywhere I ask Im told that current laws allow tubs to be settable to 104 max. I have a Master Twilight from 2010 and have been trying to find someone to tell me how to hack it to go higher. But the only response I ever get is that, since sometime in the mid-2000's control units in tubs are specifically designed to prevent you from setting them above 104. No hidden dials, no special modes or codes to enable higher temps, just 104 max per the safety nazis.

So unless your tub predates this, I find it surprising that you can set up to 106. (I'm happy for you and jealous, but surprised too.)

It's a 2014..just got it about a month ago, it just requires 2 additional long presses after 104 to get to 106.

Interesting. That contradicts everything I've ever been told in person (by various service techs and salespeople in stores all of whom claim to have been in the industry for years) and researched online. But if your brand new tub really can be set to 106 with just an emphatic button press rather than a major electronic hacking, then good for you. I'm envious.

OP: If you live a region where you have cold winters, and you envision the enjoyment of soaking in hot water while it's very cold outside, then I suggest you try out someone's outdoor tub on a cold winter day, if you haven't already. If you feel like the tub is keeping you hot enough, then take note of the model and heater wattage and don't buy a tub with lesser spec. If you think the tub isn't heating as much as you'd like, then buy something with a higher wattage heater. Sitting in a tub inside a showroom tells you nothing about the tub's ability to maintain water temp when it's outside on a cold winter day. And when your tub starts out set at 104 but the water cools down to 102/101 after 15-20 mins of soaking, it can be very disappointing.

I bought a new tub in 2011; it would never have occurred to me that hot tubs intended for outdoor use would be built with under-capacity heating for cold environments, but apparently that's the case.

I more or less regret buying a tub now.

I have a Master Twilight 8.3, which comes with a 4kw heater. I'm told that the temp loss I experience on winter days is typical with current tubs (across brands). YMMV; Good luck.

It's a 2014..just got it about a month ago, it just requires 2 additional long presses after 104 to get to 106.

Interesting. That contradicts everything I've ever been told in person (by various service techs and salespeople in stores all of whom claim to have been in the industry for years) and researched online. But if your brand new tub really can be set to 106 with just an emphatic button press rather than a major electronic hacking, then good for you. I'm envious.

I'll snap a photo tonight of the control panel reading 106 and post to forum. From 104 to 106 is not something that you could mistakenly do, it requires long presses to achieve.

I am very familiar with Tuff Spas. They are great little spas that are very reliable. They aren't for everyone as they are very basic, but they are built like tanks! They have the strongest cover in the industry. It insulates much better than a traditional cover, has a gasket that makes a nice seal, and has a built in lift assist. They are my favorite roto-mold spa on the market. They aren't a very big company so you may have a hard time finding a lot of information about them, but I am a big fan.

As to the temperature thing........Some of the new equipment packs coming out from Gecko and Balboa allow you to set up to 105 and 106 degrees by pressing a sequence of buttons. This is in fact true.

Thanks for the replies folks. I am reading more an hot tubs online. I am definitely going to do my homework before making a final decision. I wanted to ask about the lifecast models from spadepot.com are they similar to the tuffspas design? Thanks again everyone for the honest feedback

Do not try this at home.

I achieved a simple high temperature hack by wiring a potentiometer in series with the temp sensor on my Balboa system.

My system is a single sensor type, and with all temp sensors the resistance drops with increased heat, the potentiometer (similar to an analog volume control on a stereo) can increase the resistance, tricking the spa system into thinking the water is colder than it is.

Resistance on the sensor is between 16,100 and 15,800 ohms in the 104 degree range, my POT is 0 - 5,000 ohms, so I can trick the mother board into heating the spa to insane temperatures.

HOWEVER keep in mind the temp readout above will be incorrect, and as you turn the POT up, the temp display reading will start going down, giving you a way to calculate how high the temp will become.

With two probe systems, you need two POTs set at the same level or you get an SN error reading.

My wife wants to get the costco one on sale right now for $2999.

http://www.costco.com/Aquaterra%E2%84%A2-Spas-Verona--22-Jet%2c-6-Person-Spa.product.11757578.html

Seems like it is decent it is actually made by Watkins.

I still like the Freeflow excursion. I can get it delivered for about $4800 including setup etc...

http://freeflowspas.com/shop-spas/excursion

As with most tubs sold at Costco, the warranty is a joke. Read it carefully.

Most folks don't bother price - price - price is all they see.

For example, a shell warranty that only covers defects that cause water loss - not cosmetic issues, or selling a convertible voltage tub, but voiding the warranty if you convert it. (Listed under "Limitations")

I like the freeflow tub myself but the wife doesn't want me to spend that much. She only looks at the price. I like the idea of knowing who I am working with when I make a major purchase. Its important to know who will I call if I have an issue. I would prefer to buy from a reputable place. In fact today I was speaking with the owner negotiating about the Freeflow I fell more than confident that he will take care of me if I have any issues. Just need to sell that to my wife now lol. Wish me luck

Try explaining to your wife you only really have two choices, either buy from someone who employs a spa tech, or become one yourself.

Try explaining to your wife you only really have two choices, either buy from someone who employs a spa tech, or become one yourself.

Many years ago, Yuban used to say - yes, their coffee costs a bit more - but the taste is worth it. And as John R. Arbuckle once said = "You get what you PAY for."

• 1 month later...

uh ne_skiier - my tub maintains 103F (38.4C) constantly regardless of the weather... the heater may have to come on more.. but ....

Hi north_of_boston, I'm curious what model of tub do you have?

Edit. I just noticed you mention in another thread that you have an Arctic Spa. Brand is noted; still curious about which model though.

And yes a tub soak after a ski day is a great thing It's almost that season again! :-)

• 2 years later...