Intex Saltwater System Issues

Chemdawg

I just purchased a 4' by 16' Intex ultra frame pool, and Intex Saltwater system. I got everything all setup and I have the pool filled. By the instructions, I added 120 lbs of salt. Unfortunately the salt I used was regular water softener salt. It was 99% pure according to the bag. Anyways, I let the filter run for 24 hours like it said, and I swept the bottom of the pool till it was disolved. I turned on the saltwater machine, and I got error 91.. Low salt. Ok. No problem. I started adding more salt to it till I had 180 lbs dissolved in there. Still giving me LOW SALT.

I ended up having to drain over half the water out, because the pool was kind of lopsided. Once I refilled it, I used a Salt test strip, and came back with 1600 PPM. I need at least 3000. So I went to the pool store and bought 4 bags of pool salt. I added a bag and a half of salt, and waited a day. Checked it with another test strip and it gave me 3300 PPM. COOL. I tried the salt water system, and it worked this time. I let it go for 2 days and it successfully ran it's cycle twice. SO I decided to shut off the pump and the saltwater system and start them up individually at specific times so that they run the same time everyday. I have not gotten the saltwater system to work since. I keep getting error 91. LOW SALT. I added a half a bag of salt, and let it disolve for a day, and I checked it with a strip, and I'm getting 3400 PPM again. I turend the saltwater system on again and got the LOW SALT error again.

My question now is WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? Do I have a bad unit? Am I doing something wrong with this thing?

Thanks in advance.

It isn't clear exactly how you are now running your set-up, but it appears that you are trying to run the Chlorinator without running your pump at the same time. The Chlorinator requires that you run the chlorinator with the pump as that is what allows the flow through it. Try running the pump when the Chlorinator is set to be on.

As said, it wasn't clear whether you are running the pump at the same time, so apologies if you are

My question now is WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? Do I have a bad unit? Am I doing something wrong with this thing?

Sorry, I don't know what exactly what Error 91 means on an Intex SWG. It may be malfunctioning.

Perhaps this will ring a bell for PoolClown or one of the other technicians on this site.

But you've discovered through trial and error that the salt you put in the pool was not the problem: water softener/solar/pool salt should all work. The Intex manual doesn't explain the error code beyond suggesting Low Salt? Might try searching their web site or call the company for explanation. If you just purchased it, it should be under warranty. Of course, as Deckard indicated, the filter/pump should be running whenever the SWG is operating. I doubt that it will work otherwise.