Service Personnel Views On Hot Tub Brands

dilauro

To me besides the features of any piece of equipment, its the serviceability that is also so very important. When I buy a new washing machine, fridge, tractor, etc I always like to get hold of a service repair person to get their views on the product. I like their approach because most of the time their opinions would be unbiased and they do not have any ties to one particular brand.

Now for Hot Tubs, are there any service personnel out there that can shed some light on:

1. Easiest Hot Tub to service

2. Which brand is the most reliable and requires less service

3. What part(s) of a Hot Tub are the ones generally that will need service

4. What action(s) can home owners take that will

a) Increase the number of potential service calls

B) Decrease the number of potential service calls

5, Is there a typical 'life span' of a Hot tub that is properly maintained.

Appreciate any feedback

To me besides the features of any piece of equipment, its the serviceability that is also so very important. When I buy a new washing machine, fridge, tractor, etc I always like to get hold of a service repair person to get their views on the product. I like their approach because most of the time their opinions would be unbiased and they do not have any ties to one particular brand.

Now for Hot Tubs, are there any service personnel out there that can shed some light on:

1. Easiest Hot Tub to service

2. Which brand is the most reliable and requires less service

3. What part(s) of a Hot Tub are the ones generally that will need service

4. What action(s) can home owners take that will

a) Increase the number of potential service calls

B) Decrease the number of potential service calls

5, Is there a typical 'life span' of a Hot tub that is properly maintained.

Appreciate any feedback

I'll take a shot at your questions but my experience is alot different than most because of my territory and the dealer service guys out there.

1. I find them all pretty much the same, some are harder than others but working in an equipment area is working in an equipment area no matter what. Sometimes removing a particular bolt or component is harder and a well though out equipment area is important. The premium brands spend time on this and there orginization shows. But I do less repairs on these brands. The big box store brands are messier and poorly layed out but it's still an equipment area and I do more repairs on these brands.

2. There are several high end brands that last longer and require less service. This shows up after 5 years or so. In my experience the premium brands last longer and require less service. But you will pay more for them. My top three are Dimension One, Marquis and Arctic. But there are others.

3. Depends on the brand, but in my experience on the less expensive tubs pumps and heaters last about 5 years, easy repairs. But after that the lines, cabinet, jets and plastic parts seem to start to dissintagrate and if you get 10 your doing good. The higher end brands seem to reach this point at 10 and 15 years respectivly. And I have seen 20-25 year old Tubs. (Hot Springs) this is in no way trying to steer you that direction. I serviced a 13 YO D1 that the owner was going to keep and it was still in good shape. I replaced a pump, it was his first. 10-15 YO Sundance still going strong. Circ. pump first, jet pump and heaters second. Water lines, jet bodies, and control knobs and seats (diverter, air) next. I'll leave out Ozonators, lights and stereo/TV junk.

4. Water care is first and formost. General cleaning both inside and out will increse longevity.

5. See above.

I'll take a shot at your questions but my experience is alot different than most because of my territory and the dealer service guys out there.

1. I find them all pretty much the same, some are harder than others but working in an equipment area is working in an equipment area no matter what. Sometimes removing a particular bolt or component is harder and a well though out equipment area is important. The premium brands spend time on this and there orginization shows. But I do less repairs on these brands. The big box store brands are messier and poorly layed out but it's still an equipment area and I do more repairs on these brands.

2. There are several high end brands that last longer and require less service. This shows up after 5 years or so. In my experience the premium brands last longer and require less service. But you will pay more for them. My top three are Dimension One, Marquis and Arctic. But there are others.

Roger is right on and because of that I'd place more emphasis on #2 than #1. Stick with a high quality brand like Arctic, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Sundance and you should be fine.