Hot Spring 20 Amp Gfci Installation

mrwrick

I have a Hot Spring 20 amp 110v hot tub, an older Classic Model F. My electrician has provided me with a 20 amp outlet in horizontal configuration. When the new GFCI I purchased through Hot Spring Supply arrived it has a plastic housing that is designed to be installed in a vertical position with the cover hinged on top and cord trailing out of the bottom of the plastic housing. The outlet is in fixed conduit, wires have been pulled and cut and attached perfectly for the horizontal position. Unless the conduit can be bent upright without shortening the wiring I need to know if the Hot Spring housing for the outlet and power plug can be left horizontal or if I should have it rewired. I can imagine that it is optimal to have the power cord drop out of the housing in a vertical position to minimize water creeping along the cord to the power source. Will the horizontal position create a hazard or an operation problem? Thanks

I strongly recommend having your electrician come back and mount that outlet vertically even though it would be inconvenient. You do run the risk of having moisture/water related problems while that outlet is horizontal. You also create a stress point on the cord and GFI in a location that is not designed to have that stress which could lead to premature failure of that part.