Bullfrog Spa Nightmare

Paperdoll

I bought a new Bullfrog Spa model R5LSS at the end of May and it has been leaking since day 1.

The place where I bought it first said that it can't be leaking....they were wrong...Then I emptied it and two of the small light covers were broken off. They came and tore out my insulation to get to the lights (which didn't get placed back on the pipes) and replaced the lights. Then my spa leaked even more. I had to empty spa again. They came out and tightened the lights and left. My spa loses four inches of water a day now. I called and now they say they have to pick it up and work on it at the store. I want a refund!!!

I spent close to $6,000.00 and got a lemon. It's a nightmare! Bullfrog spa needs to tell the dealer to refund my money and make things right.

The lights they put in the Bullfrog spa are ridiculously cheap plastic. I'm lucky no one was electrocuted because I didn't realize the bulbs were exposed to the water.

You're lucky no one was electrocuted by the TWELVE VOLT lights? Really? Seriously? 12v?

So let me see if I understand this. The light lens is leaking? They attempted two field repairs, unsuccessfully, and now they're picking it up (at their expense) to repair it to new like quality in their shop? Sounds like pretty darn good service to me!

But you're right, they need to make it right. THEY NEED TO HONOR THE WARRANTY THAT CAME WITH THE SPA! They need to pick it up at their expense and fix it right! Oh, they're in the process of doing that, aren't they?

A leaking light lens, while perhaps very inconvenient, I don't think constitutes a "lemon".

Bullfrog has a stellar reputation of going the extra mile to take care of their customers. I'm sorry that you haven't had a perfect experience, but I have full faith that they will make it right. I have never had one single problem getting a customer taken care of through Bullfrog. Quite the contrary, they have gone above and beyond in countless instances.

Take a deep breath and exercise patience. They will take care of you. Sometimes failures occur, even in the best of products / manufacturers. I bought a $40k vehicle by a reputable company. I had to take it in for repair. They did not come to my house. They did make it right though. I did not expect a refund. The most important thing is that they take care of you and fix it. I promise you that they will.

To the first responder of this message: Are you kidding me? Read some of the other posts about Bullfrog Spa owners that have leaks. They never do get fixed and have constant trouble calling constantly. You are obviously a dealer or have stock in the company. This is a lemon. I'm not sure what you would think if someone came to your house and tore your foam insulation out of your house and ruined the integrity of the pipes that once had foam insulation surrounding the pipes. But then again, you are not going to pay my electrical bill so what do you care if they don't repair the foam to its original protection on the pipes.

As far as the car comment, where I purchase my car they do guarantee that you do not get a lemon or let you choose a vehicle that is not a lemon...they take the lemon back?

I didn't post to get into an argument with a dealer. I have stated the FACTS of the situation. I have been a business owner and have in every circumstance made that customer happy even at my expense. That is what reputable people and companies do.

If Bullfrog was so stellar they would have the dealer refund my money or replace the spa with a new one. I bought a new Bullfrog spa not a used one so yes, I do expect it to operate without leaks. I don't think that is too much to ask. I have written to them directly to give them the opportunity to make things right. They have my name and phone number. They have not called me to discuss as I requested.

Bottom line, The Bullfrog Spa I received is a lemon. If things were taken care of I would be posting a much more favorable response to this forum. Facts are the facts and I have only stated the facts. I have been taking pictures and videos along the way if Bullfrog would like to take a look so this doesn't happen to another customer.

They picked up the spa, at their own expense, to take it back to the shop to repair. Have you seen how it's been repaired? How can you possibly talk about the quality of the repair, before it's even been repaired?

A car dealer does NOT "guarantee that you do not get a lemon"! This is a federal law. And it takes a LOT of attempted repairs, and time out of service before a can is considered a lemon.

So far, on this and other message boards, everyone else thinks Bullfrog is doing a fine job backing up their warranty on spa.

Sincerely, the uncredible Dr. Spa (ret)

Paperdoll,

We are extremely sorry for your inconvenience. This is certainly not the experience you should expect from us and our product.

I've talked with our warranty and service team and have been briefed on this situation. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Our service team has been in contact with your local Dealer who is doing everything they can and more to fully honor the warranty on your spa, to repair it completely and to get it back to you in perfect working condition as soon as is humanly possible.

We will continue to work with your Dealer to ensure that your spa is up and running as fast as possible. Please continue to be patient with us and the dealer while we make this situation right for you.

All the best,

Jake

Bullfrog Spas Support

I just received my spa back and filled it up with water this morning so I don't know if it leaks yet. I turned on the lights and now one of the lights doesn't work. Like I said, Bullfrog should replace this spa or refund my money. Clearly it is a lemon.... It is interesting you know who I am from a website name...

It is interesting you know who I am from a website name...

Clearly, yours is the only Bullfrog Spa that is currently having the problems you described. There is no mystery about how the company knows who you are.

Dave

" I have written to them directly to give them the opportunity to make things right. They have my name and phone number."

I think there's more than just a website name ;-)

One of the lights doesn't work.... and it's a lemon? This would be like an interior light in your car not working, and calling the car a lemon. (have you considered that maybe something simply came lose during transport?)

• 8 months later...

I have a bullfrog spa story. I bought a bullfrog spa in 2009, model 462. Last January, it stopped heating the water. The local dealer came out to fix it but was unsuccessful. The spa was drained and winterized since it was the middle of winter in upstate NY. Spring comes and the dealer comes out to try again. The spa needs a new circuit board. They send the old one to bullfrog and bullfrog sends out a new one. The dealer installs the new circuit board and it still doesn't work. Once again, the circuit boards are switched. Still no luck. This time bullfrog sends out a new motor with the circuit board. All are installed but the local dealer says that the daughter board is bad. So this part goes back to bullfrog. He takes the daughter board off of another bullfrog spa and installs it in ours. He fills it and leaves stating that it is working but he is still waiting on the new daughter board to arrive. This is the beginning of June. The next day, I check the spa to find that the water is still not heating and the word "dry" appears on the display. There are jets 1 and jets 2 buttons. Jets 1 works, jets 2 does not. I report this to our local dealer who informs me that they are still waiting for the part to arrive. About 2 weeks ago, the spa is unable to stay powered. So we have been in repair limbo for the last 6 months. When it was working, we didn't have any problem with our light. I really miss having the hot tub!

Another bullfrog spa story- much shorter. Last March, we ordered a new cover and lifter arm. The cover arrived in June but the lifter arm did not. I wrote to the company in June to find out the specs on the cover and to find the location of the lifter arm. I haven't heard back from the company about the specs on my cover. As for the lifter arm, my local dealer says, "its coming".

I have written to bullfrog twice using their online contact section. No reply. I have emailed accounting but didn't get anywhere there yet. I tried calling but there wasn't a customer service option and a long wait for technical support. I am not happy with the customer service I have received so far. A repair should not take 6 months and the parts should not take months to arrive.

• 1 year later...

Bought my BF spa in Oct of 2014. For the most part it looks like quality. I live over a 129 miles from the dealer I bought it from. Since I bought it and had it delivered and set up, it has had to have 2 seat backs replaced and the seat tops. The heater, the upper board control, and the motherboard twice. Mind you, I had to do all of the installs and work myself, because I don't live close enough to the dealer. I made friends with their electrician who does all this work usually. He gets the dealer to send me whatever I need. The latest thing now, is those darn footwell lights, all 3 have broken off, at different times. I see that they don't put them on the newer models, so they are learning from mistakes. Now get rid of the ones in the water return, by the filters, because they break off and leak as well. I am tired of having to fix a $10,000 hot tub, but I still love it. Just more, when it stops having issues. Maybe Bullfrog should start sending them to me, for real-time trials, and troubleshooting. If it will go wrong, it will be here, but I can, and have identified and fixed all problems. Step it up, and make some stainless steel light fixtures, instead of those plastic pieces of junk. Thanks for letting me circulate my problem with the Bullfrog Spa, that I own.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Reading all of these issues makes me terrified.  I’ve had my bullfrog hot tub for 2.5 weeks and on day 4, I noticed a significant leak.  The dealer already came out to look at it, but said they will have to wait until spring to fix it because it’s so hard to do when it’s this cold out.  Just tonight half of the light colors stopped working, and several of the lights are different colors than the rest.  I am calling the dealer tomorrow to see if brand new hot tubs usually have this many issues, but after seeing these posts, I’m terrified that I just got myself into something I’m going to constantly be getting fixed….

• 9 months later...

Bought a Bullfrog spa that developed a leak right at five year period.  We believe it had been leaking into insulation for some time, we just did not notice until it started dripping onto deck. Local distributor took months (which finally included them having to haul my spa back to their warehouse 80 miles away).  Returned saying it was fixed,  but after cleaning and re-filling, leaking again.  No way to contact Bullfrog directly and when posting to give review (bad review) on their site, it was promptly removed.  Guess that is why we saw so many good reviews before we decided to buy.  Now we have to pay to fix again, including the $1200 our deal wants just to pick up and bring it back to us.

10 hours ago, Bubblegirl said:

Now we have to pay to fix again, including the $1200 our deal wants just to pick up and bring it back to us.

@Bubblegirl It is time to find a different service provider. There are very few cases that a spa has to be "brought back to the shop". I think maybe half a dozen in 25 years I have brought back to the shop and in those cases it was for my own conveniences. 

For those prices perhaps it's time to do some DIY investigation. It's not rocket appliances. Open up the panels one at a time and see if you can find the leak yourself or as mentioned find a local Independent Service provider that can do the work onsite. If you decide to DIY it and you can find the leak take some photos and post them here in a new thread/post and we can advise you on the repair so you don't get taken to the cleaners

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

have brought back to the shop and in those cases it was for my own conveniences.

And done to save the customer money, as shop rates are much cheaper than service rates.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:50 PM, Bubblegirl said:

$1200 our deal wants just to pick up and bring it back to us.

$1200 to move a spa?!!! 🙄 Is it built into a third story covered deck on a steep hillside? If not, you got screwed.

rocket appliances.

??? 🤔

On 10/23/2022 at 7:50 PM, Bubblegirl said:

Local distributor took months (which finally included them having to haul my spa back to their warehouse 80 miles away).

So, they tried on-site before taking it to their shop?

Open up the panels one at a time and see if you can find the leak yourself

Aren't bullfrogs full-foam?

The jetpack design means only a few thru-wall fittings, and pretty close to the side so easy to find. 

@Bubblegirl, what did they say was leaking? 

• 1 year later...

My bullfrog R series is just over a year old.  It has had an extreme loud rattling noise since the first day we bought it.  So loud that we never enjoy sitting in it and the noise wakes us up at night when the tub cycles.  Our neighbours are now complaining of the loud noise at night.  In the fall we would shut the hydro off to the tub at night so we could sleep but obviously unable to do that during the winter.  The tub is full of loose plastic parts with no foam on the panels.  We have complained to the company where we purchased it numerous times and have sent videos to them to prove how loud the noise was, and they have sent a technician out to service it 5 times now.  Each time he will tighten a loose part or remove loose plastic parts that were just sitting inside the tub but every time he leaves the noise returns.  One of their staff told us the best thing we could do would be to get rid of it! We have wasted $10k on an unusable and unsellable tub. Do not purchase a bullfrog tub as they do not stand behind them!