Get Fine Dust Out Of My Pool!

Hello, Pool & Spa Forum -

I have an in-ground, gunite pool. I have tile running around the top edge of the pool. A lot of tiles fell off. Before I put replaced the tiles, I ground off the old grout so I'd have a better surface to work with. I used a power grinder, so the grout was ground into a fine powder that fell into the pool. I have been unable to get this fine powder out of the pool - I think that it's too fine for my sand filter or the bag in my vacuum to catch. I tried putting panty hose over the jets to catch the sand, but that isn't working too well.

I've been Googling, and found a product called the Slime Bag (see http://www.cleanerpools.net/index.html). It claims to catch particles as small as 1 micron (a blood cell is 5 microns). Does anyone know if this is the best solution? Or should I just face the music, drain my pool, and scoop out the dust?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

AN UPDATE: I took a sample to the local Leslie's, and they say my sand filter has come up apart! The fine dust I see in there is not just the result of my grinding, but also sand from my filter.

So I now I need a new filter. Any recommendations on a model? And did the ground concrete/thin-set/grout break my filter (which means I need to solve that before replacing the filter)?

Regarding the filter model: I am looking at DE vs. sand/Zeolite.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

AN UPDATE: I took a sample to the local Leslie's, and they say my sand filter has come up apart! The fine dust I see in there is not just the result of my grinding, but also sand from my filter.

So I now I need a new filter. Any recommendations on a model? And did the ground concrete/thin-set/grout break my filter (which means I need to solve that before replacing the filter)?

Regarding the filter model: I am looking at DE vs. sand/Zeolite.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

On the sand filter part. How did they know that your filter was broke from a water sample.

Before repairing your tile was sand going into the pool? A broken sand filter puts sand back into the pool not fine dust. The fine dust is from the grinding as a sand filter cannot catch the small particles. I bet there is nothing wrong with your filter.

I have 2 ideas on removing the dust.

1. add some DE powder in the skimmer then vac the pool, the de might be able to catch the small particles. Then backwash it out.

2.get the pool water level as high as it can go. Set up the vac. put the the filter valve on waste start the pump insert the vac hose and vac the dust and water to waste. keep an eye on the water level because as you vac it will drain the pool.

Vacuuming to waste is a good idea - I'd also recommend that you kill the pump and brush the bottom toward the deep end the night before vacuuming, then brush again the next morning, let everything settle for a couple of hours, then turn the pump on and start vacuuming. Should reduce vacuum time and water loss.

If you still have some dust after this - well, repeat. Should take care of your problem.