Really, What Do I Need? 1St Timer Needs Advice Before Throwing Money Away

Bryan

Just bought a used 2003 Hot Springs Jetsetter. It is my very first hot tub. To learn, I went to the local hot tub store that sells Hot Springs exclusivly. I wanted to know what chemicals I would need to maintain the spa. The guy told me I needed chemicals such as PH Up, PH Down, Some silver Ion powder that I put in once everytime I fill the tub, it did not appear to be a continuous cartridge.

I also mentionded that I had some small round cylinder shaped powdered clorine tablets (about 1 inch by half inch) left over from when I had a small Intex above ground swiimming pool. He mentioned not to used those because I can damage my spa and that I should buy his powdered clorine.

So, do I really need everything he mentioned?

You really only need Dichlor, bleach, and acid (pH down) or if you plan to use Dichlor-only then you'll just need that and some baking soda. Read the stickies at the top of this Hot Tub Water Chemistry forum.

You really only need Dichlor, bleach, and acid (pH down) or if you plan to use Dichlor-only then you'll just need that and some baking soda. Read the stickies at the top of this Hot Tub Water Chemistry forum.

Chem geek... thanks for the response. I noticed that you did not mention "continuous silver ion" which the sales guy at our local hot springs recommends. Any opinion on it? Is it a gimmick?

I will read the stickies on my days off from work. thanks again.

You do not need silver ion if you use chlorine as a disinfectant. If you want a non-chlorine non-bromine system, then Nature2 which uses silver ions can be used with non-chlorine shock (MPS) and is an EPA-approved disinfectant when used with this combination (i.e. silver+MPS). To keep the water clear you still usually need to shock with chlorine once every 1-2 weeks.