Fiberglass Over Concrete

kennr

Hey all, New guy here with my first post.

Has anyone here ( or knows someone who has) had any experience with installing fiberglass over an old concrete pool? I've got a 35+ year old pool that needs refurbishing. I got a reasonable quote to replaster but I have a crack or two that needs looking at. Job will NOT be guaranteed unless it's fixed. OK, I understand that. So the repair quote comes in at $5,500 min to almost $9K max. HUH? This gets me wondering...pressure clean and inject epoxy repair into cracks and resurface with fiberglass. These aren't big cracks but I do loose a bit of water. Does this sound reasonable? I'm sure I given all the pool info as I wanted to keep the post reasonably short.

I'm just checking to see what my options are. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards, Kenn

If they plan to put the fiberglass over the plaster only it may be o.k. Be careful with the guy that wants to put fiberglass over the tile and/or coping - you will have problems. If the fiberglass doesn't work for some reason, you will have to remove it via waterblasting which can be very expensive, just to get the pool back to its original condition before it can then be re-plastered. find out how long this guy has been in business under the same name.

Thanks for the reply. The pool never had any waterline tile and that is something I will be adding. Good point on the coping. Many pieces are loose and can and would be removed beforehand if needed.

The plastering co. has been doing business 20+ years and he referes the crack reparing co, who seems reputible, although pricey. But I agree, they should be checked out.

I didn't get much in this section so I reposted in the fiberglass pool section but < again, thank you for your reply.

Kenn

It's very simple ...if the concrete work is coming with a warranty then do it...my experience is that most (all) fiberglass companies come with little to no warranty and when there is a warranty it is usually through the manufac..which at that point are hard and or slow to get resolved