Pool Testers Contradict Each Other; Which Is Right?

This is our first pool. Above ground, 20,000 gal. I had too much trouble using the AquaTest-4 color strips. The salesmen highly recommended the AquaChek TruTest monitor, which they all use in the store. The pool had been covered for a couple days by the solar cover, during which time we had multiple rain storms. Upon removing the cover, "GREEN". I discovered that our chlorine canister had gone empty sometime during the week of rain. I shocked the pool with 4 gal of liquid shock. Green has disappeared but water is very cloudy blue. Tested yesterday with TruTest indicated pH was low, so I added "pH UP" according to directions. There has been no improvement today, so I retested. The TruTest monitor indicated 7.1 (pH still low) which caused me to try another test using the Hydrotool, drop method test which shows the results as 7.8 (pH high)

Very frustrating; which method should I rely on to treat the water? Is it cloudy because the pH is too high, or too low? It's like a crazy 'crap shoot'. The pool stores here are using the 2 same methods I have. A neighbor stated that it may be caused by Phosphates. The pool clerk said the unless we live next to a farm area where they are fertilizing, etc. it's very unlikely to be a Phosphate issue. She didn't have the resources to check for Phosphates in the water. Seriously welcome to suggestions!

Neither one is reliable but I would trust the drops over the strips, just not the drop kit that you have. As to why the water is cloudy, you have an algae bloom and it is consuming your sanitizer. It has NOTHING to do with your pH. Keep shocking and filtering until the water clears and also do NOT test pH when the pool is at shock level since it will read high when it is not. (It is a chemical interference between the high chlorine levels and the phenol red indicator used for the pH test.)

The kit we (and other boards on the net) recommend is the Taylor K-2006 test kit. You will not find it locally but will probably have tp purchase it online. IF you click on this link to the Taylor website and then click on pool/spa in the upper left and then scroll down to the K-2006 section you can watch vidoes of the variousl tests in the kit and how easy they are to perform. This is a professional quality kit and will make your pool maintenance MUCh easier.

The Trutest still depends on strips and strips are not dependable for the most part. Also, the store you are going to does not really want you to have good test results because inaccurate test results boost their bottom line since they can sell you more and more chemicals to fix 'problems' .

As for phosphates, ignore them, they mean nothing. It is just another way for pool stores to sell you a product you really don't need because they can test for it. If you maintain the proper chlorine level for your CYA (stabilizer) your pool will not turn green.

I assume you are using chlorine tabs in a feeder. These are very acidic and will deplete TA and your pH will drop. Don't waste mone on Alkalinity increaser, it is plain baking soda. Really!