Bromine Question

Jo3

Hello,

First time post to these forums. Thank you for providng such a great wealth of information on hot tub water chemistry!

From what Ive read on these forums, the benefit of sanitizing with Bromine is that it doesnt require the daily attention needed with Dichlor/bleach method. Now that its getting colder, and were not using the spa as often, Id like to lessen the maintenance required to keep the spa clean.

Im switching from the Dichlor/bleach method to Bromine sanitation without re-filling my tub (It was just recently re-filled). My water is balanced, I use the Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. My numbers are: TA 70, PH 7.6, Calcium Hardness 200, and temp 101 F. Ive also added 50 PPM borates.

Question 1:

Ive read waterbears Bromine For Beginners post, and I see that he prescribes adding ½ oz of sodium bromide (per 100 gal) to establish a bromide reserve. I dont currently have any sodium bromide. If I continue to sanitize with Dichlor for a week (with the Bromine floater in the tub), will that be enough time to establish a bromide reserve. In other words, can I skip this step if I wait a week with the floater?

Question 2:

With Bromine sanitation, do I need to add an oxidizer after each soak? If so, should I use a chlorinated or non-chlorinated oxidizing shock product?

Question 3:

In addition to keeping the water balanced, will I also need to add an oxidizing shock product on a weekly basis (chlorinated or non-chlorinated)?

You want around 30 ppm bromide and one week of bromine from the floater probably won't be quite that much -- two weeks might. That's not a big deal though and even after a week there's enough bromide to have any oxidizer create bromine from it.

Yes, you need to add an oxidizer such as bleach after your soak. You can use non-chlorine shock if you want to but it's more expensive.

You shouldn't need to shock if you use chlorine bleach after each soak. If you use non-chlorine shock, you might need to shock with chlorine every so often (every week or two) to keep the water clear.