Help Please - New Spa - Heater Clicks On - Then Off - Then On - Then Off...

krisloewen

Ok - I'm new to the spa world.

We just purchased a (used) spa from a local repairman who gutted this one and installed all new plumbing and pump...saw it running perfectly in his shop before taking it home.

Got it placed, leveled, wired up, and filled with water - gave it power and the pump turns on; power light is on; water cycling out of lower jets.

But the heater does not seem to be working. It clicks on (heater light goes on) and then it clicks off almost instantly...

It will repeat this seemingly ad-finitum.

I opened up the control panel - and saw what I'm assuming are some kind of contacts for the heater - the loud clicking comes from them.

It flashes (arcs) and seems to make a connection (heater light goes on) - but then pops back out and the light goes off...

At first I thought maybe it was somehow "priming" or something but it never changed after a few minutes so I disconnected the breaker in my GFI box.

Am I missing something? Do I need to do something else?

What might be wrong?

The shop is closed for a couple days as they have gone on vacation - would love to have it heating for the weekend.

Any HELP?

Try adding water through the skimmer with a hose forcing water through the pipes to make sure there is no airlock in the pipes.

Ok - I let it sit for a few hours with power totally off -

When I came back I put the hose in the skimmer, turned the heater all the way to '0' and put the power back on it.

This time the pump is running steady and the heater light is staying on - even when I turn the thermostat back up to about '7'.

What's happening now is that when I push the 'jet' button; only some jets come on - and those kind of pulsate ever 3-5 seconds...

Like they give a big push, but then almost turn off - and it just kind of throbs back and forth like.

Do you think I might have some kind of air lock in the jet pipes?

How does one fix a problem like that?

Hoping it might be a little warmer in the morning which might indicate the heater is doing its job...