• Announcements

• webmaster

Server Move   09/20/2016

Hello! We are now in the progress of updating the server where PoolSpaForum.com resides. During this move, there will be a loss of some recently made posts. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we create a better technical environment for your favorite Pool and Spa forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bams10

Hot Spring Wiring

3 posts in this topic

Hi.

Made my choice on a hot tub,Hot Spring Sovereign.I plan on doing the wiring myself.

On the wiring schematic it shows 50amp 8Awg wire from main service to suppled subpanel.The location of my subpanel will be about 30'from main service.At Lowe's they have a chart showing 50amp needs 6AWG.Could Hot Spring be using 8/g instead of 6/g because their spas draw 230 volts instead of 240v.My thinking is be safe go with 6/g wire.Would that be overkill using 6/g?.

Hi.

Made my choice on a hot tub,Hot Spring Sovereign.I plan on doing the wiring myself.

On the wiring schematic it shows 50amp 8Awg wire from main service to suppled subpanel.The location of my subpanel will be about 30'from main service.At Lowe's they have a chart showing 50amp needs 6AWG.Could Hot Spring be using 8/g instead of 6/g because their spas draw 230 volts instead of 240v.My thinking is be safe go with 6/g wire.Would that be overkill using 6/g?.

No 6 gauge I think should be standard. 2 positives, 1 ground, 1 neutrel. 4 wire

If you are going to use romex cable indoors for the run to the disconnect you should go with 6 gauge, the diagram might indicate you are using 4 indiviual 8 gauge wires in couduit. You have to bump the size up if you use the cable due to reqd. temp. derating of the cable.