Coleman 470

rookie

thinking of purchasing the coleman 470 but am arookie to all this hot tub stuff been offered the floor model for 5500

as i have stated in a few other posts i just got rid of a coleman 472 that i had for 1.5 yrs. the tub was very comfortable but had a fist full of probs. jets that very seldom swirled like they should , gaps inbetween shell and wood sides that heat poured out. gaps in corner sides and bottom lip of shell you could stick your finger in, small hailine cracks on the top edge of the shell, and energy bills that was way out of line for a tub that was supposed to be well built for the extreme cold. got rid of it and got a marquis 530, which so far is a much better tub and the khw used on an avg is about 1/3 of what the coleman used. WET TEST WET TEST, check out all quality issues you can. if the jets are swirly jets make sure they do just that without having to spin them with your finger to start them spinning. the price you got was very good, but check the quality. good luck

as i have stated in a few other posts i just got rid of a coleman 472 that i had for 1.5 yrs. the tub was very comfortable but had a fist full of probs. jets that very seldom swirled like they should , gaps inbetween shell and wood sides that heat poured out. gaps in corner sides and bottom lip of shell you could stick your finger in, small hailine cracks on the top edge of the shell, and energy bills that was way out of line for a tub that was supposed to be well built for the extreme cold. got rid of it and got a marquis 530, which so far is a much better tub and the khw used on an avg is about 1/3 of what the coleman used. WET TEST WET TEST, check out all quality issues you can. if the jets are swirly jets make sure they do just that without having to spin them with your finger to start them spinning. the price you got was very good, but check the quality. good luck

The jets have improved. Coleman hasn't used wood since 2002. Gavalume steel framing, thermal lock insulation (easy accessability and more efficient). See if they have a 470 series to wet test and if they dont all of the 470 series are similar. Major improvements since then with the whole spa industry. I remember in 2000 being alot of problems with jets because we used waterway jets now they are using something else of alot more quality. Marquis is also a nice tub. You have to wet test.

The jets have improved. Coleman hasn't used wood since 2002. Gavalume steel framing, thermal lock insulation (easy accessability and more efficient). See if they have a 470 series to wet test and if they dont all of the 470 series are similar. Major improvements since then with the whole spa industry. I remember in 2000 being alot of problems with jets because we used waterway jets now they are using something else of alot more quality. Marquis is also a nice tub. You have to wet test.

my coleman 472 had the gavalume frame ,with the thermal lock 4 insul. the new pentair jets. bought it in march of 2004, good sales pitch until i got the electric bill.

my coleman 472 had the gavalume frame ,with the thermal lock 4 insul. the new pentair jets. bought it in march of 2004, good sales pitch until i got the electric bill.

Do you think the electric bill would of been easier on you with any other line of spa's or do you think thermal type insulation was not as efficient?

Do you think the electric bill would of been easier on you with any other line of spa's or do you think thermal type insulation was not as efficient?

since i put in the marquis 530 my electric usage is down . i was using avg 30kwh for the coleman vs 10 kwh for the marquis. our rate here is about .08 perkwh. it is simple math.

since i put in the marquis 530 my electric usage is down . i was using avg 30kwh for the coleman vs 10 kwh for the marquis. our rate here is about .08 perkwh. it is simple math.

If that's the case it sounds like the Coleman was losing heat out the sides and if there were gaps as you noted that would do it. That's the key with any thermopane (Coleman or otherwise), you can not have air transfer from the inside of the cabinet to the outside and if it's windy you can watch you meter needle spin. You really want to look at how it's constructed and after it's delivered you really want to check it for gaps (if it's a bargain brand spa you should also considering adding insulation as they can really skimp there).

You really want to look at how it's constructed and after it's delivered you really want to check it for gaps (if it's a bargain brand spa you should also considering adding insulation as they can really skimp there).

Which is not neccesarily a bad idea. With a little insulation you can improve on the insulation propertys of any spa at a very cheap price.

Which is not neccesarily a bad idea. With a little insulation you can improve on the insulation propertys of any spa at a very cheap price.

Are you in a state where it is below zero? You are the 1st of thousands of people that we sold spa's too within the last 3 years of thermal lock insulation that it was high in electric costs. I am glad you found a spa with more efficiency and hopefully everything is accessable when it comes time to repair. The best too you.

Are you in a state where it is below zero? You are the 1st of thousands of people that we sold spa's too within the last 3 years of thermal lock insulation that it was high in electric costs. I am glad you found a spa with more efficiency and hopefully everything is accessable when it comes time to repair. The best too you.

Really? LOL, I gues his spa doesn't count.

living in theU.P. of M.I. it is cold man. and i trully hope no one ever has problems to deal with no matter what kind you have. but the sad fact is we are not in a perfect world and they can all have probs. some companys stand behind theirs better.

living in theU.P. of M.I. it is cold man. and i trully hope no one ever has problems to deal with no matter what kind you have. but the sad fact is we are not in a perfect world and they can all have probs. some companys stand behind theirs better.

FF is good to have in that climate for what I understand.