Costco Discovery Ecstasy And Infinity Sun Peak Spa

I'm looking at these two spas, both from costco:

http://tinyurl.com/2n4e5a

AND

http://tinyurl.com/3y6556

They are cheaper than brand names their size; they seem pretty reasonable to me. Any experinces on these? Opinions?

Thanks!

-m

Here's an opinion for you. They're exactly what they are, an inexpensive spa that may or may not last longer than 5 years. There fit and finish is poor and there energy consumption is high. They are noisy and just plain poorly built. There are several new owners here that will tell you they are the best thing since sliced bread, and as long as you go into it with open eyes you WILL save some money up front.

If that's your budget, then they're probably the best you'll find in it for sure. Better then the internet spa, or home depot spa, in that you can bring em back if they have infant death or really are not what you like (minus whatever it costs to get them there and back...)

You may find some local, but not "name brand" spa dealers depending on where you live that will be in that same ballpark price as well, where you can at least sit in those tubs full of water.

But yeah, if that's the budget, I'd get one over not having a tub at all.

AND

They are cheaper than brand names their size; they seem pretty reasonable to me. Any experinces on these? Opinions?

Thanks!

-m

Here's an opinion for you. They're exactly what they are, an inexpensive spa that may or may not last longer than 5 years. There fit and finish is poor and there energy consumption is high. They are noisy and just plain poorly built. There are several new owners here that will tell you they are the best thing since sliced bread, and as long as you go into it with open eyes you WILL save some money up front.

Roger, Please tell him you have never worked on one of these spas as well as any Costco spa you bash repeatedly !

Know that posters here that bash these spas are usually dealers, repair techs and salespeople that haven't seen one let alone own one so as long as you go into this with your eyes open to the fact these people have a bent against a Costco spa of any sort includeing a Hotsprinds model, then you will be able to make a informed decision for yourself. These post against the spa are opinion and not fact just to let you know.

AND

Thanks!

-m

I can not offer you anything but my opinion...and that is...... I like neither of these two spas. Something about them look cheap...but thats my opinion. I am only judging by the looks because I didnt even pay attention to whats each spa has in regards to guts (pumps, control board). I guess I approach it the way some approach computers. Since I work in the computer industry there is no way I would buy and or build a computer without knowing what was inside but to be honest...I dont want to take up hot tubs as a business or a hobby and as long as I like the looks and the things that matter to me (on my level, remember I am not a spa expert) I would buy what I could afford and liked.

If you spend enough time on this board you will see people who have had good and bad experiences either way they go and when you buy you also will become a statistic on either side of the coin. I say protect yourself as a consumer in your purchase...if you go with a dealer make sure you get everything in writing....but if you go with costco ask for yourself what the return policy is.

I bought the Legend from costco and have had nothing but a good experience! Good luck either way you go....

Hey...worse case scenario is you could also end up being a member of this board...and there are some good people to argue with (both sides are recruiting)!!! :)

AND

Thanks!

-m

Roger, Please tell him you have never worked on one of these spas as well as any Costco spa you bash repeatedly !

Know that posters here that bash these spas are usually dealers, repair techs and salespeople that haven't seen one let alone own one so as long as you go into this with your eyes open to the fact these people have a bent against a Costco spa of any sort includeing a Hotsprinds model, then you will be able to make a informed decision for yourself. These post against the spa are opinion and not fact just to let you know.

I have worked on several Hydrospa units, and several of the many lower cost units on the market and have seen and repaired the components used in these tubs. Does that mean my opinion is valuable to a potential purchaser? It doesn't matter. If the opinion comes from an owner of one of these units who has never tore it apart or any other brand and has only been an owner for a short time, the opinion doesn't mean anything either, it is what it is, an opinion. Let the consumer decide for themselves which opinion they trust.

AND

Thanks!

-m

If you live in a cold climate you might be better off on a "full foam" nordic spa. you get dealer support and the nordic i have has been very good. i just found out about the square tubs at nordic you can order full foam and the company is GREAT to do buisness with.

They are updating there tubs and i got a peek at it, they look nice.

good luck on what tub you get. they are ssssooooo worth it.

104 Degrees

Thanks for all the posts.

So are these two less efficient than some brand name spas out there - say hot springs? I don't live in a cold weather - NorCal. How much less efficient are we talking about?

Also, the unit is far from my house, should I worry about how much noise it makes? I am assuming the jet noise over powers all other when I'm actually using it. No?

What do you think of Tiger River series of HotSprings? The Sumatran, specifically. I like the seating arrangement - although it doesn't have a lay-down type of position.

I can speak to TR - I just got the Caspian. The recliner seating isn't as wonderful as most people think, that's why we did not get one in this tub - our last tub (almost 10 years ago) had one, and it just took up a lot of space... you're in water after all, you can just float yourself :D

Ours is right outside our bedroom window, but we're usually in it when its on ;) Even so, you don't want to sit in what sounds like a 747 on takeoff - not very relaxing - so the pumps should be reasonable.

In NorCal, better insulation means lower power bills, since we get that spiffy high cost electricity... (I'm in San Jose) so you'll not mind a better insulated tub even if it only gets down to the 30s or 40s in the winter.

Anyway, I like Tiger River/Hot Springs/Watkins, build quality was good, tub was wet-tested at the factory, no issues on delivery, and my local dealer has been good thus far.

They're on par with sundance/jacuzzi tubs in the same price band - we preferred the jetting & seating in the caspian vs the equivalent tubs from those guys.

Whatever you buy.... SIT IN IT WHEN ITS FULL FIRST. That's really the only critical thing you'll hate every time you use it if it's not right for you. You might get one that doesn't last as long, or needs more repair, but if you get one you cannot stand to soak in, you're totally borked.

Know that posters here that bash these spas are usually dealers, repair techs and salespeople

You forgot to mention current and former owners as well.

These post against the spa are opinion and not fact just to let you know.

Um....No. Not quite. Statements like

"They use GE Motors which have a history of poor performance"

"The overall build quality is poor"

"The support was lacking"

"Insulation is poor"

These could be considered "Opinion" however, given that they are made by owners and experts in the field who do have in depth knoweldge of tubs, they could also be considered "Expert testimony. You can make up you own mind. Always consider the source, and the level of expertise and experience with all posts. But don't discard ALL the statements about Costco tubs simply as "opinon" by uniformed people. That's misleading (to put it politely)

However,

How is cost to operate in the winter an "opinion"?

How is "drilling holes in the side to correct a design defect" an "opinion?

How is not being able to have a Hydro service tech diagnosing the problem "opinion"?

How is documenting the service experinces considered "opinion"?

HOWEVER I think statements from new Costco owners who never owned a tub before and have a very limited expericnece make statements like "After a few months of ownership I think I can compare my $4000 Costco to a $10000.00 spa " Sure, now I would consider that to be ahem... "opinion" :rolleyes:

Know that posters here that bash these spas are usually dealers, repair techs and salespeople

"Insulation is poor"

These could be considered "Opinion" however, given that they are made by owners and experts in the field who do have in depth knoweldge of tubs, they could also be considered "Expert testimony. You can make up you own mind. Always consider the source, and the level of expertise and experience with all posts. But don't discard ALL the statements about Costco tubs simply as "opinon" by uniformed people. That's misleading (to put it politely)

However,

How is not being able to have a Hydro service tech diagnosing the problem "opinion"?

HOWEVER I think statements from new Costco owners who never owned a tub before and have a very limited expericnece make statements like "After a few months of ownership I think I can compare my $4000 Costco to a $10000.00 spa " Sure, now I would consider that to be ahem... "opinion" :rolleyes:

Trigger your biggest flaw is that when you talk about costco spas you group them all together just because they are sold through costco, when in fact thats not the case. These tubs are not made by hydrospa.

As far as drilling holes in the side of a tub to correct a design flaw was someones own idea. On my legend there is a drain tub that feeds back into the plumbing of the tub.

You spout off like you know so much when in fact I think you know very little. What adds so much credit to your statements, you have some kind of internet credentials you can flash around. Kind of hard to tell (so called) expert from novice on a message board. Like in the another post you said something about it being full foam...and when someone called you on it you reply was oh...thats what I was told...do I need to go find the post for you?

"Insulation is poor"

However,

Trigger your biggest flaw is that when you talk about costco spas you group them all together just because they are sold through costco, when in fact thats not the case. These tubs are not made by hydrospa.

As far as drilling holes in the side of a tub to correct a design flaw was someones own idea. On my legend there is a drain tub that feeds back into the plumbing of the tub.

You spout off like you know so much when in fact I think you know very little. What adds so much credit to your statements, you have some kind of internet credentials you can flash around. Kind of hard to tell (so called) expert from novice on a message board. Like in the another post you said something about it being full foam...and when someone called you on it you reply was oh...thats what I was told...do I need to go find the post for you?

trigger

Needed to have the "full foam" "verified" on the Nordic square tubs :D when i posted it. like he is here to verifiy all info. he even went as far as to quetion the "up charge" cost of it.

Trigger

What does caldera charge to "full foam" there spas??? you know its built in to the price,they only come that way. so how much is it??

104 john

Read the post I was addressing. They were talking in HUGE gereralities -making sweeping and false assumptions and discounting all posts that were negative. My response was accurate and on point. What is incorrect about in my post in refernce to the topic we are discussing?

That's because you have an awesome spa. I love it when we talk about you, and your awesome spa. Tell us more.

Everyone who hasn't had to drill holes in thier spa should also respond to this post.

You spout off like you know so much when in fact I think you know very little. What adds so much credit to your statements, you have some kind of internet credentials you can flash around. Kind of hard to tell (so called) expert from novice on a message board.

What credentials have I flashed around? Honeslty, if anything, I WARN folks not listen to inexperinced users, or lying salesmen. NEVER Have I posted credentials. In fact, I go out of my way to tell peole I don't work in the industry. JWillard, what credientials have I posted? (If you want to know my education and employment, I'd be happy to share them, just PM me, but since they are not directly related to the industry, it's not needed that I post them here.) I do openly admnit that I'm not in the industry, and that I have owned several tubs of varying quality and deisng over several years. Take it for what's worht.

Like in the another post you said something about it being full foam...and when someone called you on it you reply was oh...thats what I was told...do I need to go find the post for you?

I belive I was correct. in my statement (we were talking if Nordic offers a Full Foam upgrade). Since it wasn't clear if they did this, I imedently posted that I wasn't 100% sure and to double check. We tripple check, and guess what? I was correct. Where is the error? We had a good conversation on Nordic and full foam. I particpated in the conversation because I do have first hand expoerince with Nordic. Why does that bother you?

Can you put your personality aside for a moment Scooby and answer my direct questions?

Thanks.

Trigger

What does caldera charge to "full foam" there spas??? you know its built in to the price,they only come that way. so how much is it??

I have idea what thier cost break down is.

I can only speak for myself, and I can say with 100% certainty, that I was charged absolutey nothing for the foam. ;)

The original thread was about the original poster wanting info on two spas that arent hydrospa...why bring hydrospa into the equation? Oh, because they are sold through costco...that makes them the same. Lame!

You brought up the point about drilling holes...I just responded...you make it sound like every tub sold through costco is this way...which its not. Glad to see you think I have an awesome tub...cause I do.

Thats my point...you don't have any credentials...you have own a couple tubs and based your opinion on what you have experienced...same as everyone else on here. You come across like you are some expert and your not...your just full of opinions. How is anyone suppose to validate your experience...from the inexperienced people???? This is the internet....they cant!

You are always wanting me to PM you....get over it...I am here to talk in a forum, not PM people. As far as your education and your employment I could care less. I think your spelling speaks for your education level....especially when there is a spell check right in the forum.

My personality aside...not going to happen.....you are stuck with it...

Trigger

I can only speak for myself, and I can say with 100% certainty, that I was charged absolutey nothing for the foam. ;)

This is the posting I was talking about.....

I may be wrong here. I thought I was told that Nordic was offering that, and quickly read the specs that the insulation was 2ld high density foam.....perhaps that's just the sprayed on foam around the shell and plumbing?

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...amp;#entry31093

Trigger

This is the posting I was talking about.....

I may be wrong here. I thought I was told that Nordic was offering that, and quickly read the specs that the insulation was 2ld high density foam.....perhaps that's just the sprayed on foam around the shell and plumbing?

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...amp;#entry31093

Nordic sell alot of full foam spas in europe. she told me they dont have the call for it in the us. i think they will now that theres alot of talk about how good a full foam spa is in winter.

104 john

The original thread was about the original poster wanting info on two spas that arent hydrospa...why bring hydrospa into the equation? Oh, because they are sold through costco...that makes them the same. Lame!

Why? Because of sokerman's post. Did you even read my posts? I was responding to and directly quoteing a post. Come on, you can't be that thick headed. Can you stay with the thread. See where I quoted a post and responded directly to it? REally, can you follow my posts and the conversation? I don't think you can, because you jump in and start crying without bothering to understand what's being talked about.

You brought up the point about drilling holes...I just responded...you make it sound like every tub sold through costco is this way...which its not. Glad to see you think I have an awesome tub...cause I do.

I know you have an awesome tub. We all do. But let's stay on track Skippy. I brought up the holes, to illustrate the difference between "opinon" and "fact" . Is drilling holes in the side of the tub and opinion or was it a fact? You jumped in again and derailed the conversation. (See my last sentence in my previous paragraph)

Thats my point...you don't have any credentials...you have own a couple tubs and based your opinion on what you have experienced...same as everyone else on here. You come across like you are some expert and your not...your just full of opinions. How is anyone suppose to validate your experience...from the inexperienced people???? This is the internet....they cant!

Sweet Baby Jeebus, You accused me flashing credentials. As if I was trying to fool people. Where do I come across as an expert? You are not making any sense. (seethe last sentence in my first paragraph).

Validate my experience? WTF is wrong with you? If I post that I have several years experince with a tub, you cry and say I am pretening to be an internet expert. Do you really have a point, other than you don't like me? because you are tripping over yourself in what you are talking about.

As far as validating the experienced from the inexpereinced people? Just ask them. Then again, you don't like that - because then you will acuse them of having credentials. Honeslty, do you see how silly you are being? Or perhaps you are frustrated with this, because you don't have a lot experince , and those that do, disagree with you? Hmmmmmm? :rolleyes:

You are always wanting me to PM you....get over it...I am here to talk in a forum, not PM people. As far as your education and your employment I could care less.

But you were just crying over what my credentials where, now you care less? As far as PMing. I requested that in consideration for others who have to read your shiate. Let'st take it off line, so others don't have to put up with this crap.

I think your spelling speaks for your education level....especially when there is a spell check right in the forum.

My spelling sucks. yup. I think it speaks more to my attitude about this post, than education. But then agian, two sentences ago you said you didn't care about that anyhow. There's a spell check on the board? Where? Rather than piss and moan at me Skiper, why not point out the spell check? Oh, that's right. you want to fight.

But the bottom line is, once again, rather than attack me, because we all know you hate me, answer my questions Bubba, rather than contiue to spout reasons why you don't like me. Can you do that? I don't see the reason behind any of your posts and how they deal with the thread.

My personality aside...not going to happen.....you are stuck with it...

Fortunatley, that's not true.

And after all this, I still don't know what your problem is. You think I am posting false credentials? You think I was wrong pointing out that differences between opinion and fact? Or was it my correction on statement about buying at Costco? What is your point? Can you please repete it to me?

Trigger,

Jwillard's point is; He will disagree with anyone he believes is slighting his brand of tub. Only he and NW Tub Owner can comment on them, as they are the only ones with positive experience. The fact that they have very little experience shall not be discounted. Comparisons to other tubs and dealer services shall not be made, unless they are favorable to his position.

Trigger, you are wasting your time with him. He doesn't get it.

Trigger,

Jwillard's point is; He will disagree with anyone he believes is slighting his brand of tub. Only he and NW Tub Owner can comment on them, as they are the only ones with positive experience. The fact that they have very little experience shall not be discounted. Comparisons to other tubs and dealer services shall not be made, unless they are favorable to his position.

No my point is....this is a forum on hot tubs...one of which I own. I feel that there are a lot of so called experts or just loud mouths with a lot of opinions. I for one am no expert...never claimed to be....loud mouth...sure...like I have always said...I just give my experience. Every time a post comes up about costco its one of the most read threads on the forum. I havent ever tried to discount any of the negative experiences of anyone...but to come in a make a blanket statement that all tubs bought through costco are crap is a lie. Sure...its not a 10k tub...its 5k and for a person like me it does have all the crap I was looking for in a tub. When are you all going to get it...the people who have had a good experience have just as much right to post their experiences as you do your negative opinion...dont get mad when you cant convince them into thinking the same way you do.

I have only ever tried to discount the post from people who are just joining the band wagon. This forum has a way of trying to run off anyone who doesn't think like the majority.

Trigger...if you are reading and I know you are......if you look at the little words with red under them when you are typing your post you will know they are not spelled correctly.

Trigger,

No my point is....this is a forum on hot tubs...one of which I own. I feel that there are a lot of so called experts or just loud mouths with a lot of opinions. I for one am no expert...never claimed to be....loud mouth...sure...like I have always said...I just give my experience. Every time a post comes up about costco its one of the most read threads on the forum. I havent ever tried to discount any of the negative experiences of anyone...but to come in a make a blanket statement that all tubs bought through costco are crap is a lie. Sure...its not a 10k tub...its 5k and for a person like me it does have all the crap I was looking for in a tub. When are you all going to get it...the people who have had a good experience have just as much right to post their experiences as you do your negative opinion...dont get mad when you cant convince them into thinking the same way you do.

I have only ever tried to discount the post from people who are just joining the band wagon. This forum has a way of trying to run off anyone who doesn't think like the majority.

Trigger...if you are reading and I know you are......if you look at the little words with red under them when you are typing your post you will know they are not spelled correctly.

You tried to knock nordics insulation. is it that hydrospa is not full foamed???so it cost more to run in colder climates?