Small Triangular Spas? Sundance, Caldera, Marquis?

jwats

Have a very small deck space. Roughly 6 ft x 8 ft in a corner.

Considering a triangular spa. Dealers within driving distance include Sundance (Tacoma), Caldera (Aventine) and Marquis (Rendezvous).

Previously had a large Sundance spa on ground slab; lost in Hurricane Katrina. Moving new spa up onto elevated deck to prevent future flooding and damage.

Any thoughts or experience with these three models. Had very good experience with my previous Sundance spa but would consider any of the three.

Kauai? Would fit - 220 High Performance.

B)

Chas,

I have considered a small rectangular spa. Looked very hard at the Bullfrog 331. Problem is clearence between the master bedroom outside wall and deck railing. Most rectangulars leave 6" or less clearence in width and extend nearly 8' in length.

Also considered the Sundance Solo but wanted spa to seat 2-3 people.

My deck is a covered concrete floored balcony which is 6' wide and 40' long but effective length of space I am considering is 8' due to support columns for roof and railings.

Space is just too tight for anything rectangular. Worried about access for cleaning and service if ever needed.

Trianglar spa will fit neatly into corner against master bedroom wall or outer railing and leave pretty good access across the flat front for entry or service. Will also give a better custom look vs. looking like I shoved the biggest spa possible into a small space.

If I had it to do again, I would have specified a wider deck pour. But I never thought I would be junking my big Sundance after flooding and damage from Katrina.

Time to move up to higher ground which requires a smaller spa.

Any experience with the three triangular models I mentioned?

I have sold a handful of the Aventine - folks seem to be well pleased with it.

Also, tons of the Solana TX - again, folks seem to be well pleased with it.

They certainly look different from each other. The TX has the Moto Massage, the Aventine has the small and medium jets found in other Caldera spas.

B)

They certainly look different from each other. The TX has the Moto Massage, the Aventine has the small and medium jets found in other Caldera spas.

B)

While I'm not familiar with the others I'd have to give a thumbs up to the Solana TX also, had a down payment on one til I found my current tub, a 10 YO Jacuzzi Alexa, used. My neighbor has one and its quite comfy for two. Worth a look at under $3500

Fish

B)

Chas,

Again, really good and helpful info. I saw a Solana TX advertised at a great price by a dealer about 3 hours North of me. Price was cash and carry.

My impression from the website and ad was the Solana is marketed as a therapeutic tub and aimed at older clients who might be using it indoors or in a solarium.

It appears to have a vinyl or plastic type siding on the cabinet vs. a wood or wood-synthetic like most outdoor tubs.

Also had concerns about the power source. I am planning to upgrade any of the small spas to 220V so I can run the heater and jets at the same time. Not sure if that was an option on the Solana.

I am really looking for a good quality outdoor spa with good jet configuration (I know the size of the tub limits the number in these triangular models), nice wood style cabinet, cover, and a simple white light; maybe an ozone generator?

I am more into soaking in a nice hot tub with a beer looking out at the water after a hard day at work, than into a bunch of therapeutic jets or colored lights or aroma therapy. Want to be able to enjoy some music or peace and quiet while I soak, not the noise of some monster motors or jets. But it is nice to have a little therapy to the back, sometimes. My main limitation is the size of my space.

Am familar with Sundance products. Just trying to get some opinions and insight on the other two brands and then off to the dealers for a look and maybe soak. Problem is, may have a hard time seeing these less popular models on the floor.

Thanks

The Rendezvous from Marquis is a very nice small spa, if you are looking for a space saving spa that still offers nice therapy and excellent build quality, it is a solid choice.

Thanks for that info. I have a Marquis dealer about 2 hours North of me. Called yesterday, no answer. Will try again, today. Am not familar with Marquis but would be interested in a look and test soak if I can see a model on the floor. My "closer" dealer about an hour to the East handles both Sundance and Caldera, so location and logistics may be on his side, but I am willing to look at anything. Just looking for quality and that triangular shape to fit my space limitations.

The Rendezvous from Marquis is a very nice small spa, if you are looking for a space saving spa that still offers nice therapy and excellent build quality, it is a solid choice.

Thanks for that info. I have a Marquis dealer about 2 hours North of me. Called yesterday, no answer. Will try again, today. Am not familar with Marquis but would be interested in a look and test soak if I can see a model on the floor. My "closer" dealer about an hour to the East handles both Sundance and Caldera, so location and logistics may be on his side, but I am willing to look at anything. Just looking for quality and that triangular shape to fit my space limitations.

They should all be convertable to 220v though with the small sized body of water, I imagine they'd typically maintain water temp fine at 110v unless you use the jets a lot.

They should all be convertable to 220v though with the small sized body of water, I imagine they'd typically maintain water temp fine at 110v unless you use the jets a lot.

Good point. Never owned a 110V tub, before, and just figured since I was buying from an out-of-town vendor, might be best to spend the dough and upgrade to 220V from the start. Do have an independant spa repair man who does service calls, but with service call fee and hourly rate, it might be about the same just to do the upgrade before delivery.

I sometimes like to start out in a warm tub (99-100) and then heat it up once I am acclimated to the temp. With a 110V setup, I suspect I would have to cut off the jets to turn up the heater?

On the other hand, wonder how much if any costs savings the 110V vs. the 220V offers. Not much, I would suspect, unless I leave the tub simmering at high temps during the day while at work?

Good point. Never owned a 110V tub, before, and just figured since I was buying from an out-of-town vendor, might be best to spend the dough and upgrade to 220V from the start. Do have an independant spa repair man who does service calls, but with service call fee and hourly rate, it might be about the same just to do the upgrade before delivery.

I sometimes like to start out in a warm tub (99-100) and then heat it up once I am acclimated to the temp. With a 110V setup, I suspect I would have to cut off the jets to turn up the heater?

On the other hand, wonder how much if any costs savings the 110V vs. the 220V offers. Not much, I would suspect, unless I leave the tub simmering at high temps during the day while at work?

It'll cost the same to heat the spa up whether you're using 220V or 110V. The 220v option is preferable in time to heat up and the fact that the jets/heater can run simultaneously. The only disadvantage to 220V is the cost to install the 220v line. A 110V spa can maintain temp in a small spa like that pretty well unless you're running jets a lot. You wouldn't be able to go in at 100º and then turn it up to 102º while in it and expect the temp to rise while open in that short time frame. The 110V can maintain temp in a small spa like that well but it can't be expected to raise temp while you're in it.

The 220v option is certainly preferable in every way but cost to add the line. You could run the 110V for awhile and see if there is a need for 220V but often people want to get it all done at delivery time and not deal with this type of thing later.

It'll cost the same to heat the spa up whether you're using 220V or 110V. The 220v option is preferable in time to heat up and the fact that the jets/heater can run simultaneously. The only disadvantage to 220V is the cost to install the 220v line. A 110V spa can maintain temp in a small spa like that pretty well unless you're running jets a lot. You wouldn't be able to go in at 100º and then turn it up to 102º while in it and expect the temp to rise while open in that short time frame. The 110V can maintain temp in a small spa like that well but it can't be expected to raise temp while you're in it.

The 220v option is certainly preferable in every way but cost to add the line. You could run the 110V for awhile and see if there is a need for 220V but often people want to get it all done at delivery time and not deal with this type of thing later.

Very good info. Much appreciated. I did talk to my Marquis dealer just a few minutes ago. Price is competitive with the other two models under consideration. As I suspected, no Rendezvous model on the floor to inspect or test soak.

As to the wiring & costs. Home is new construction just now being wired and I already have conduit in the deck at the desired location. Based on that, will probably just go ahead and wire the circuit and tub for 220V from the outset.

Just a note - the Solana spas convert from 110 to 110. I know - it's different. You can plug the spa into a 110 volt outlet, or you can have an electician to hardwire it 110 volt 30 amp. When you go 30 amp 110 volt, you can run jets and heat at the same time, but the heater is only 1000 watts either way.

B)

I have a Solana TX with the 30 amp service wired to it. It is on it's 5th year of service with the following service done: 3rd year replaced footwell rotary jet, cost-$20.00, owner performed; 5th year cracked air jet control valve, cost-not in yet, done by dealer service; leak in line to Moto-Massage Unit, cost-not in yet, done by dealer service.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the tub. It only uses about 130 gallons of water, and very few chemicals. I am in Maine so only run it between April and October. It is on a wooden deck, specifically reinforced under the tub area to carry the weight. And lastly it is in an area only 8' by 8', (three sides) and has plenty of room around it to slide off the cover, and perform routine cleaning and service.

I have a Solana TX with the 30 amp service wired to it. It is on it's 5th year of service with the following service done: 3rd year replaced footwell rotary jet, cost-$20.00, owner performed; 5th year cracked air jet control valve, cost-not in yet, done by dealer service; leak in line to Moto-Massage Unit, cost-not in yet, done by dealer service.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the tub. It only uses about 130 gallons of water, and very few chemicals. I am in Maine so only run it between April and October. It is on a wooden deck, specifically reinforced under the tub area to carry the weight. And lastly it is in an area only 8' by 8', (three sides) and has plenty of room around it to slide off the cover, and perform routine cleaning and service.

Saw a Solana TX and a Caldera Aventine this weekend. Neither were filled but did get to see them and sit in them. Both dealers are about 3 hours North of me so no chance to set up a test soak. Delivery is possible but could bring tubs back down on a utility trailer behind my truck as they are light weight.

Impession: Solana cabinet looked better than I expected based on website and photos. Price was less than $3400. Big concern is 110V 30amp power source with no upgrade to 220V available.

Caldera looked more like a traditional tub with woodgrain cabinet and liked the lounge seat with armrests. It just looked more impressive and could be wired for 220V. Have quoted this spa at two dealers. Both come in around $4000.

Guess the items I noted explains the price difference as both are manufactured by Watkins and have slightly different price points and target sales groups.

Marquis Rendezvous is same price point as Caldera. Low probability of getting to see one of these.

Closest dealer did not have one in stock and it would be a special order. Not something they want to stock.

Guess it comes down to Caldera vs. Marquis as Sundance Tacoma is over $5000.

Anyone have any additional thoughts/experiences with these two models and manufacturers. Any info including experience with the Marquis sound system would be appreciated.

Most 110 spas like the Marquis will convert to 240, The nice part about the 110 with the Marquis is that you can try it on 110 than if you want to change to 240 you can and your electrican can make the change for you in just a few moments. Warrnty and build quailty are top notch with the Marquis as is with the Hot Springs.

Chas,

What is the real benefit of having a 30 amp 1000 watt heater. I mean I understand the small benefit of running jets on high but at 1000 watts it is questionable weather it will still maintain temp or am I missing something?

• 1 month later...