Need help fixing my hot tub time machine!

Help! We live in the middle of Manhattan, and I've had a hell of a time trying to find a hot tub technician here to service our old school cedar hot tub. We've used it for years, but recently it's been automatically shutting off and finally this winter won't turn on. 

There are two speeds on pump – high and low. When high speed is engaged, it will heat. But it keeps kicking off and going onto the lower speed (after 10 min). When pump is on low speed, heater says “no flow” and won’t maintain the temperature. We think that the pump on low can’t push water through the system (my husband says maybe due to the original plumbing and the weird curves ?) or maybe we need to buy a stronger pump? We replaced the heater 5 years ago, although my husband did it himself and not sure we got correctly sized pump. We also have never replaced the electronics.

Do I have to find a hot tub technician? Can a mechanical engineer or electrician service this? Any ideas of where to troubleshoot?

2FC2C74D-223F-4BF3-BE81-92E3475F49D3.JPG

028BCEB3-B8A4-4B7D-BB0B-ECC47AC40ABD.JPG

34EDC1DF-AB08-4EA6-9764-89AAE354A7C9.JPG

262FE28E-2B52-490C-BF09-6625CFFE09F7.JPG

B0BC7DD7-6C14-45AA-B383-8080035E70A8.JPG

F94610AD-CECC-4500-8E3A-9619420DB215.JPG

>>>> Thanks Dave! Unfortunately it does this even with a brand new filter. :-/

OK.  When you say it heats at high speed, is the heat LED turning on, or are you just noticing the water in the tub getting warmer?  The reason I ask is because the tub will heat up just from the friction of the pump.  In NJ at this time of year, I'm seeing about 90-92 as the highest a tub can go from pump friction without the heater working.

No heat on low speed and heat on high speed indicates a flow problem, which is why I suggested checking the filter.  (I'd also try running without any filter to see if it will heat at low speed.)  High speed turning off and coming on at low speed after 10 minutes is not normal.  I can see it going into low speed because it's not heated to where it's supposed to be, but the high speed should stay on for 20 minutes before it turns off.

So, it sounds like you may have two issues.  First, you're not heating and second, your pump shutting off.  I don't know anything about gas heaters, so I can't begin to guess what's going on there.  High speed shutting off after 10 minutes sounds like an electric problem.  Let me ask, did you actually time it, and does it actually quit after exactly 10 minutes?  What happend if you press high speed right after that happens?  Does it run in high speed for another 10 minutes?

Dave

Hi there,
My friend has faced the same problem last month. On searching a lot she came in contact with the plumbing professionals walk in bathtubs Scottsdale through an online search. The team gave her the best services in fixing the time machine and even the bathtub too. They are the walk in bathtub installation and repair professionals and after knowing the advanced features of the walk in tub, she is thinking to renovate her bathroom by installing the walk in tub from the same team. You can contact them anytime without any hesitation. They can help you in solving your hot tub time machine repair problem too.