Dual Drain Suction Problem

Hefman

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I tried to do a search on this topic, but I could not figure out how to get the search function to work.

Anyway, I have a pretty old Marquis spa (I believe it is called the "Euphoria") that is otherwise running well. The spa has two pumps -- one for the "therapy seat" and the center inlet (and also the heater) and one for the other seats around the tub. There are dual drains for each circuit, so 4 total suction fittings. Each of the circuits also has a filter near the top of the waterline that is sort of like a skimmer. Recently though, one of the pump circuits (the heater circuit) has developed a suction issue that has me perplexed. One of the two suction drains has lots of suction, while the other has almost none. The drain that works is closest to the pump, although I am not sure how this is all plumbed in this area. I believe most dual drains are just two lines merged into one, without any sort of check valve or anything, so I am assuming there is some sort of blockage between the two drains. However, I tried snaking the line from the bad drain and it seems to go a long way (possibly all the way to the pump), so I'm confused.

I cannot find any plumbing diagrams for this spa and I don't have a way to look inside that part of the spa enclosure, since the spa is installed in a recessed pad, which blocks the panel on that side. So I don't know how the two suction fittings tie together and how they are tied to the filter.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas?

I'm not sure it has not always been this way, but it does seem to be very extreme. One drain pulls very hard and the other almost nothing and when I totally block the one "good" drain, the other one still barely pulls anything. Also, the two drains on the other circuit behave in what I would consider a normal way -- both drains have similar suction and one can be blocked and the other will pull more.

No. The screen is in good shape. In fact, I removed both screens to do the test. The "good" drain does tend to attract debris though, since it has all the suction. No problem on the slow drain screen.

I'm thinking there is some issue with the way the drains are tied together. I don't think they are connected by a tee, but maybe they come together at the bottom of the filter/skimmer cartridge in some sort of 3-way manifold. I wish I could get to that part of the spa without lifting it out of the recess or could find some sort of plumbing diagram for that model...