Jandy Aquapure Code 120

spozz

Hi, everyone,

I have the Jandy APUREM Power Center and the 3-port PLC1400 cylindrical salt cell. The Power center is intermittently saying Service with error code 120. I found the troubleshooting guide but have been unable to definitively diagnose the problem. Here are the details:

1) PIB board was replaced in October 2014 (about 1.75 years ago and problem really started about 6 months ago when PIB was 1.25 years old).

2) The cell is from 2011 (before I owned the house). Pool is only 8,000 gallons so typically runs at 30-40% for 10 hours/day year-around.

3) I measured the voltage at all of the test points and they are within spec, except the ones below:

Voltage at Cell: 35.8 VDC

PIB

------------

Cell Connection Points: 36.2 VDC ***

120 mVDC Test Points: 120 mVDC

I put *** next to the Cell Connection Points readings because I was not able to figure out where the "test points" are on the PIB for the cell connection points, so I tested by shoving the probes into the top of the plugs that, in turn, are plugged into the PIB (so that the probes were touching the wire inside the plug).

Here are my questions:

A) Does anyone know where the actual "test points" are on the PIB for the cell connection points? On the "green" side, there seems to be a little opening on the bottom left of the plug that also allows me to shove in the probe and get a reading (the same one I get when I shove the probe into the top of the plug). Is that the test point? I was not able to find a similar point on the "black & white" side, but it is difficult to move a probe around in there because space is tight. I also tried to pull on the plugs a little, so I could shove the probes under them, but I was not able to get them to move.

B) Given the above results, I would think the problem is the PIB since the out of spec readings trace all the way back to the PIB; however, I recognize that the PIB is relatively new and the cell is relatively old. What do you all think? Is there any way for a bad cell to be causing bad readings at the PIB? Or is it definitely the PIB?

Thanks,

spozz

You need to take your readings with the cell connected and cell on (under load). Pull the plug on the cell as if you were unplugging it, but not completely, just enough to where you can get your test probes in there. A 120 code indicates cell service (check, clean, or replace). If the cell is over 5 years (10,000 hrs.), it may be time to replace.

Thanks very much for the reply, Pool Clown. The reading you describe is what I did for the first reading reported above:

Voltage at Cell: 35.8 VDC

Clearly, it is high. The cell is clean. Does that mean the cell is definitely bad? Or, since the readings at the PIB were also off, could the problem be originating with the PIB?

• 4 weeks later...

You would be best off using an inductive amp meter. You would just clamp the meter on to the wire you want to measure and it measures amp draw through the wire. Measuring this way is tons safer since using a conventional ammeter requires you to interrupt the circuit.

Thanks! Stupid question, but what do you mean by "cell wire"? The wire going from the PCB to the cell?

Yep! You will need to take the cover off the control; box. There are three wires to the cell in there, Clamp the green one. You should get about 7 amps out of it.

• 5 years later...