Burnt Heater Wires?

js28

Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm new to the forum. I have a United Spas S300 I'm having issues with. Hot tub came with the house I bought and seems to be well taken care of. Once I fill her up, she heats to the 104 degrees, then eventually burns one of the two heater wires randomly. Everything seems to run fine, just keeps burning the wires. Not sure if I need to replace the unit that the wires are connected to or what. I know the hot tub sat for a few years. Hot tub is inside out of the weather in it's own little hot tub house. Anybody had this happen or familiar with this situation. Any help would be great and thank you in advance. I couldn't figure out how to upload pics in this forum so I pasted links to the picks of the burnt wires and model/serial info. Thanks again.

http://tinypic.com/r/1z4g01f/8

http://tinypic.com/r/t5ir6c/8

http://tinypic.com/r/wl7wwz/8

http://tinypic.com/r/20mpzb/8

http://tinypic.com/r/2it53qw/8

http://tinypic.com/r/4juk4y/8

Hello Jeff- the reason those particular wires are overheating and melting at that particular spot, is because that spot happens to be the weakest spot in that circuit. The same load is being carried everywhere along the circuit. If the circuit is not able to carry the amperage along a particular portion of the line, the electrons moving back and forth create friction trying carry amperage along a pathway that's too small, over-heat, and melt. It means either that connections are not tight where they're over-heating, the relay is damaged, or the wire you replaced it with was too small, not tightened, or was damaged itself. I see plenty of electrical tape on those wires- perhaps covering other damage? Only to over-heat and melt later?

Use a new wire, with no damage, that's large enough, and tighten the connections, and the problem will vanish. Unless overheating has damaged the lugs on the heater relay- which can eventually overheat and melt, as well as the heater element terminals.

• 3 years later...

Hello all hate to hijack an old thread but my jacuzzi j330 heater just stopped the wires are fried see lower left

I went to buy a new heater and the guy told you can probably just replace the wire the element is probably still good.

so i guess what might have caused it to burn all the sudden? 

can i just replace the crimp connnectors or do i need to take the heater off and replace the entire wire?

thanks in advance

2017-05-12_19-01-24.jpg

2017-05-12_19-06-16.jpg

The heater is sealed, so I'm not sure how you're going to replace the wire.  And I doubt the wires are burned, they're just scorched, because I see carbon next to the heater relay's on the metal box, and the back of the board may be damaged.

I don't know if you need a new heater, but I'm afraid you many need a new circuit board.

Dave

I have the exact same hot tub Jacuzzi J330 and problem.  Same wire burnt.  I also had an issue with the water overheating.  It got too hot to enen go in.  Now the heater light is on but not heating so I opened it up and found the burnt wire.  Did you need to replace the entire circuit booard?  Pretty crazy I stumbled onto the exact same tub and problem

Thanks for any info

You need to turn off the power and examine the circuit board front and back.  If the relay's are scortched, then they need to be replaced.  If the relay's getting scortched damaged the circuit board, it will need to be repaired or replaced.

Wires don't catch fire without a reason. 

Dave

Well it was the board the heater relay burnt.  I tested the heater resistance with a meter and it was still good.  This tub is from 2003 so i guess the relay just wore out.

i got a new board and put it in seems to be working i will have to wait for the temp to rise to know for sure. The new board had both shovel connector and screw terminals i replace the two that schorched with screw terminals and sprayed all the others with dioxit.

Thanks for the replies.

2017-05-26_16-39-43.jpg

Update tub has been running for a day and is almost up to temp, just need to reprogram from celsius to American!  If anyone needs to update the board was easy to replace everything is labeled, just use standard crimp connectors.  The board set me back $300.        Thanks all.   

• 2 years later...

Good News for my issue!  I pulled the board partially out and was able to confirm there was no motherboard damage on the backside! 

So, I guess sometimes a burnt wire is just a burnt wire!

I checked the temp this morning and its up to 98 as programmed.  Seems to be aok with a simple wire replacement.

• 2 years later...

Hey late joining the conversation but I saw that this group was a lot of help and could actually fix the issues they had. My question is regarding a speed pump. I’m not the original owner it’s a Laguna bay spa and I’m trying to make the spa work without breaking the bank. I saw the hot wire burned in the one speed pump( the black one is the burnt one, one white and one green)  My question is .. do I need to change the whole pump or can I just change the wires ? 

2F913ABB-6B5B-47D0-B3A2-9E936604752C.jpeg

F8A949C4-2917-4C13-983F-269DD83CD7B9.jpeg

0B64006A-02DA-46D2-896A-050383735353.jpeg