Help Purchasing A Portable Hot Tub

bils613

Welcome to the world of spas. There are virtually no unbiased ratings or reports of spas-in-general. Consumer Guide (not Reports) ratings, PoolandSpa ratings and other publication ratings are bought, not earned. Your best bet is to avoid the hype, visit local dealers that will be around for you after the sale and wet test several brands and models within a brand if possible. A few "name" brands have bad raps for quality. There are many dealers on the forums happy to promote their brand. Most do so professionally. A few do not. If it seems like you are getting a lot of spa for the money, you probably are not. Some inferior brands like to throw in radios or TV's in the hopes of enticing the unknowing consumer wowed by gadgetry.

Test for the 3F's. Fit/Float/Feel

Fit - is the seating comfortable and do the seats fit you, and others who will routinely use the spa, well?

Float - can you stay in the seats - tough because the body is buyont. Some designs make it easier than others. If you want "lounge", a wet test is even more recommended.

Feel - do you like the way the jets feel? Do they hit the right places?. Is there enough pressure? Are they comfortable for more than 60 seconds? When you get the spa home, you might find the spa that was really impressive for 60 seconds really isn't that great at 10 - 15 minutes.

From compiling forum notes or from direct wet testing, these are brands I would feel comfortable sending a friend to look at. Arctic, Caldera, Coleman, Dimension1, Hotsprings, Hydropool, Jacuzzi, Marquis, Sundance.

Because I feel so strongly about wet testing and having local dealer support, I would discourage anyone from trying to purchase one over the internet. I have purchased many things over the internet, electronics, golf clubs, etc. This was one purchase I wouldn't consider making over the internet. There is no way to tell if a spa is really going to work for you by looking at pictures.

STL-REX, Thx for your candor and advise. I've spent around 3 hrs cybering, mostly in here, recognizing the various role players (seems dealer tilted) on this site. Its a shame there are no unbiased ratings, but "ratings and information bought, not earned". Without a good beginning basis, it is de-motivating knowing you'll have to spend spend a lot more in days than hours to maybe feel comfortable to purchase a tub.

STL-REX, Thx for your candor and advise. I've spent around 3 hrs cybering, mostly in here, recognizing the various role players (seems dealer tilted) on this site. Its a shame there are no unbiased ratings, but "ratings and information bought, not earned". Without a good beginning basis, it is de-motivating knowing you'll have to spend spend a lot more in days than hours to maybe feel comfortable to purchase a tub.

So look at stuff like how long they have been in business. Call a local independent repair guy and get his opinion, or several independent repair guys because they may be tied to a local store. Talk to friends or family that own tubs and get there opinion of the brand they own.

Please don't be de-motivated or discouraged.....I now believe, the extra days spent doing some "hands on" research as is the profoundly sound advice given here above, will be paid back to you ten fold when you can rest assured everyday that you have made an investment that will provide years and years of enjoyment without the potential of customer service problems if anything needs to be addressed. It is clear, that if we care about the quality of the investment that we make in a spa, more time, effort, and service considerations should go into our purchase than a car!..........but once we do the necessary leg work to make the right purchase, I think we can all agree....soaking in a spa will be enjoyed volumes over sitting in traffic!

Roger and Veronica have it absolutely right. I couldn't have possibly said it better. Your investment in this purchase is sovery important to your future happiness. Try not to be discouraged because having a good quality spa is absolutely a life enhancing experience! Beyond a shadow of a doubt- it is imperative that you take the few days to do that research although I can understand that you would want to sit in a spa in your backyard YESTERDAY! :D I have some people try out upto three different spas and then try them again. Take the time and have fun with it. B) Wet tests can be some of the most enjoyable experiences. There are many companies that will encourage you to try 'em out because it will make you feel GOOD! Then you'll feel good about what spa you choose "knowing" instead of "hoping" it's the right fit. Ifa company is stand-offish about it, I would not even go there. Good luck and have a blast! :wub: