Costco/plat. Elite Iii

jwillard

In a previous thread you said you haven't even seen one of the platinum spas let alone work on one so that makes your opinion just a guess.

So your assuming that Hydrospa (the maker of the PE series) makes only the PE and no other labels for several other big box stores, discount houses, and dealers throughout the country? Your assumption is wrong.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys need to lighten up. I have a different opinion based on my repair experience and knowledge of the Hydro brand and could care less wether anyone likes there PE or not. Go ahead and give an opinion and any smart consumer will take it for what it is worth. After all we have to give the consumer more credit than we are giving them. I would think if they read an opinion from an owner of a few months and one from a repair guy of several years they are probably smart enough to figure out which opinion is worth a hill of beans and which isn't!

Yes Yes everyone settle down.......believe my opinion over everyone elses "hill of beans" opinion because I am a "part time" repairman. I have worked on them...no wait I have worked on other models this company made and find them to be...well, crap! Since I have never sat in one... and experienced first hand jets or comfort I can basically only tell you how chaffed my a$$ gets from having to behind over and fix a pump or something in cold weather.

IPB Image

http://www.dailyhog.com/TV_Repairman.htm

No seriously I was just trying to have fun. I actually believe it or not respect everyones opinion for the sake of debating but I use this spa every single night since I have owned it and love it. I am happy I had a good experience and will deal with the longevity of the spa as the time goes on. I will surely come back and give the board my experience good or bad. I have never been one to slip back into the dark after stepping up.

I think is funny how people get so upset over a spa from Costco. Good greif! The whole point is to have fun, enjoy a good soak and do it with minimal hassle. The only bad reiew that seems relevant would be Jmendoza as he actually owns one so I do put some weight on his experiance but the rest here seem to say a friend of mine says......Or, The parent company does.......anything other then I own one and have worked on one. The Costco spa contains the same guts if you will as a clearwater spa yet no negative about quality of their components ????? I think its a perception of value for what you pay for. Some get very upset to find a guy spent $4900.00 rather then $10000.00 for a near identicle spa. I'd be pissed as well as I almost purchased a clearwater spa for thousands more but, I walked in a Costco saw the Legend elite and purchased it on the spot.

Actually, I don't think everyone is upset. For those who have enjoyed a good experience, I say good for you. I originally came here looking for info on how to solve a problem I was experiencing with the PEII. Since then, I have found that I amnnot the only one who has had plenty of trouble with the Hydrospa unit. Quite a few posters have also experienced defective parts, lack of responsiveness from the company and issues with excessive energy consumption by. The fact that I bought it at COSTCO is a non-issue, except that it gave me great leverage in forcing an unresponsive company to act.

The purpose of this forum is suppposed to be the exchange of information and experience regarding spas. Both positive and negative info about manufacturers can help consumers make decisions. The fact remains that there have been many others who have posted negative incidents about Hydrospa products on this board. And almost with regularity, there is some kind of effort to attack these posters by drowning them out, personally attacking them or dismissing their complaints as irrelevant. In this case, the original poster seems intent on hurling insults, swear words and mooning people instead of sticking to his story. No one said anything personal to jwillard, but he has attacked the people who have posted contrary items, belittled their credentials and resorted to big red letters, swear words and moon shots.

Whatever happened to letting your experience and facts speak for themselves. If you really believe in the product, why resort to bullying and yelling people down?

Actually, I don't think everyone is upset. For those who have enjoyed a good experience, I say good for you. I originally came here looking for info on how to solve a problem I was experiencing with the PEII. Since then, I have found that I amnnot the only one who has had plenty of trouble with the Hydrospa unit. Quite a few posters have also experienced defective parts, lack of responsiveness from the company and issues with excessive energy consumption by. The fact that I bought it at COSTCO is a non-issue, except that it gave me great leverage in forcing an unresponsive company to act.

The purpose of this forum is suppposed to be the exchange of information and experience regarding spas. Both positive and negative info about manufacturers can help consumers make decisions. The fact remains that there have been many others who have posted negative incidents about Hydrospa products on this board. And almost with regularity, there is some kind of effort to attack these posters by drowning them out, personally attacking them or dismissing their complaints as irrelevant. In this case, the original poster seems intent on hurling insults, swear words and mooning people instead of sticking to his story. No one said anything personal to jwillard, but he has attacked the people who have posted contrary items, belittled their credentials and resorted to big red letters, swear words and moon shots.

Whatever happened to letting your experience and facts speak for themselves. If you really believe in the product, why resort to bullying and yelling people down?

Nope, I am not upset...I have a nice spa to soak in to relieve the stress! Best purchase I have made for myself in some time.

You on the other hand have done nothing but use this board to whine and complain about your spa...you dont need any information on this board to do what you need to do and that is...RETURN THE SPA!!!! How hard is that to understand. All the time you have spent on this forum to whine and complain because you have had a bad deal. As a consumer you need to use common sense and protect yourself. I work hard for my money and I definately feel if I received damaged goods, those goods will be returned to the company. I surely wouldnt continue to deal with the problem and come post on this forum how bad my experience is because someone else came and posted how good their experience is. Its like you have to use your experience to cancel out a positive experience.

As far as bullying, where do you get that? I havent belittled anyone and as far as credentials I could care less for that here...the internet allows too many people to embellish their credentials. Sorry if I dont have the same personality as you jmendoza17, I cant sit there and have someone say my opinions are a hill of beans and not respond. Unfortunately this is a "written" forum and the words I write arent being yelled...actually on most of my post I sit here with a smirk/smile on my face.

ps I didnt moon anyone...that pictures came from a related news story...that I found intersting and it was a way to poke fun at Roger for calling my opinion a hill of beans...hope he doesnt take it as hard as you!!

If your ever in Orlando, Florida and want to come soak in my tub your more than welcome...no hard feelings!! Sorry about the big red letters...they say red induces anger...do you want me to use a differant color? by the way...red is my favorite color in my spa...especially when its dark out...it just has the best glow in the water...

You on the other hand have done nothing but use this board to whine and complain about your spa...you dont need any information on this board to do what you need to do and that is...RETURN THE SPA!!!! How hard is that to understand.

Dude, that is one of my main points. I have not returned the spa because it's not a toaster. It will cost hundreds of dollars to get it craned out, replaced and rewired. Not to mention that our concrete pad was poured with the PEII in mind, so now I have to replace with a similar size unit. Assuming that COSTCO would foot the bill for the crane, its still a logistical hassle and a major undertaking. So after much thought and reflection, I have decided to try and figure out a solution and see if I can make it work. If I can get the costs down to what they are supposed to be, I'll keep it. So the lesson for anyone who is considering a spa is to research carefully and consider all your costs and support, not just the initial cash outlay. COSTCO --bless everything else they do-- offers a great warranty, but NO setup and support. The fact that the new Hydrospa unit is $5K should be enough to make anyone consider the name brands, the quality and the operating costs. That is why this forum is valuable. If I had read more posts before I bought, I would have gone with the Hot Spring instead. Enjoy your spa, man. Your setup looks real cozy.

It will cost hundreds of dollars to get it craned out, replaced and rewired.

Like I said...I am sorry you got a bum deal but I myself would gladly pay that "hundred of dollars" just to keep from dealing with the aggreviation of having a lemon. In the end the money spent returning will surely pay for itself if in fact your unit is costing you $200 in electrical consumption. All companies produce lemons...regardless the product. People can come on this board and soak up all the knowledge (pardon the pun) and still get a defective product. Something purchased to relieve stress should never cause said stress!

Enjoy your spa, man. Your setup looks real cozy.

Thanks!

Je suis d'accord, a très bien dit.

spatech, can I get a translation on this? :huh:

All companies produce lemons...regardless the product. People can come on this board and soak up all the knowledge (pardon the pun) and still get a defective product.

This may be true, but it sounds like an excuse. If a company sells a lemon and then they don't go 200% to take care of the problem, they merit a bad rap. In my opinion Hydrospa could have solved problem right away and done much to leave a satisfied customer. Instead, they made excuses and tried blaming the customer for the problem. I would advise people to avoid Hydrospa products. Even with COSTCO's money back guarantee, who needs the double headache of a lemon plus an unresponsive manufacturer.

I think is funny how people get so upset over a spa from Costco. Good greif! The whole point is to have fun, enjoy a good soak and do it with minimal hassle. The only bad reiew that seems relevant would be Jmendoza as he actually owns one so I do put some weight on his experiance but the rest here seem to say a friend of mine says......Or, The parent company does.......anything other then I own one and have worked on one. The Costco spa contains the same guts if you will as a clearwater spa yet no negative about quality of their components ????? I think its a perception of value for what you pay for. Some get very upset to find a guy spent $4900.00 rather then $10000.00 for a near identicle spa. I'd be pissed as well as I almost purchased a clearwater spa for thousands more but, I walked in a Costco saw the Legend elite and purchased it on the spot.

Nobody is upset, Clearwater makes a low end spa IMO, but an OK value unit and anyone who owns a Costco spa and thinks it is the same as a 10,000 dollar spa is going to be dissapointed a few years down the road.

Thats what this is all about, it seems everyone who owns a Costco spa keeps comparing it to a 10,000 dollar spa that they somehow miracioulisly payed half as much for. And that is simply not true. I have never said the Costco unit was a terrible buy or a pirece of crap. If you read back I have described the Costco as exactly what I think it is. a cheap spa for a cheap price. Nothing more, and its longevity has yet to be proven. In this country you will never get something for nothing from a retailer, ever. So with a costco tub you are getting exactly what you pay for....simple.

Clearwater is a low end spa? Wow! When I looked the Ultrasage was a 9k spa without a stereo and ozone or a synthetic siding. those three options would shoot the price up another 1k and lets not forget the $350.00 cover and a cheapy $200.00 coverlifter so now were talking well over 10K!!!!! Low end???????

In all fairness the platinum II compares with the Cabo line easilly

Cabo - Signature

Cabo - Standard

eight thousand without ozone, stereo or coverlifter. not a low end spa at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smaller than the Monaco but featured with all the same assets. Four pumps, a silent circulation pump and more jets than you can count. Soak it all in while you visit this ‘resort in your backyard’. Take advantage of the custom lighting, exclusive graphite jets and custom waterfalls – all standard in this fully featured model.

Specifications

US/CA EU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dimensions 84" x 84" x 37.5" 2.13 x 2.13 x .95 meters

head rests 3 3

seating 5 5

cup holders yes yes

jets/flo-nozzles 81/125 81/125

average water capacity 330 gallons 1250 liters

weight (empty) in lbs. 800 lbs. 363 kilograms

weight (with water) in lbs. 3340 lbs. 1515 kilograms

waterfalls yes yes

electrical requirements 240 volt 220 volt

electrical req. am/breaker 50 amp. 2 x 32 amp / 3 x 32 amp

pumps 2 - 5 hp / 2 - 3hp/1-circ. 4 x 3 hp / 1-circ.

filter area 150/sf 150/sf

pop-up water fan yes yes

* Also available in Standard Package.

Nobody is upset, Clearwater makes a low end spa IMO, but an OK value unit and anyone who owns a Costco spa and thinks it is the same as a 10,000 dollar spa is going to be dissapointed a few years down the road.

Thats what this is all about, it seems everyone who owns a Costco spa keeps comparing it to a 10,000 dollar spa that they somehow miracioulisly payed half as much for. And that is simply not true. I have never said the Costco unit was a terrible buy or a pirece of crap. If you read back I have described the Costco as exactly what I think it is. a cheap spa for a cheap price. Nothing more, and its longevity has yet to be proven. In this country you will never get something for nothing from a retailer, ever. So with a costco tub you are getting exactly what you pay for....simple.

I have to disagree...no where in any of my post have I compared it to a 10k spa. I don't know enough about any other spa to actually compare it against. Basically just said I bought X over Y because of many reasons and pass on my opinion/experience.

I post on another thread and you come in and make some stink about why does every thread turn into a costco sales pitch. No where did I pitch anything other than what I own. I cant talk about other hot tubs since I dont own one.

In this country you will never get something for nothing from a retailer, ever. So with a costco tub you are getting exactly what you pay for....simple.

So what exactly do you get when you buy from an overpriced, marked up, sales commission added deal from a dealer? Oh, sorry cant forget that dealer help after the sale! Not worth the extra 5k in my opinion.

People like choices...this choice isn't for everyone. And after purchasing it I still had enough money left over to take Sandra, the hottie that was in it last night out to dinner and a soak, and she didn't care if I paid 10k or 10 dollars....we both enjoyed it!

I have to disagree...no where in any of my post have I compared it to a 10k spa. I don't know enough about any other spa to actually compare it against. Basically just said I bought X over Y because of many reasons and pass on my opinion/experience.

I post on another thread and you come in and make some stink about why does every thread turn into a costco sales pitch. No where did I pitch anything other than what I own. I cant talk about other hot tubs since I dont own one.

In this country you will never get something for nothing from a retailer, ever. So with a costco tub you are getting exactly what you pay for....simple.

So what exactly do you get when you buy from an overpriced, marked up, sales commission added deal from a dealer? Oh, sorry cant forget that dealer help after the sale! Not worth the extra 5k in my opinion.

People like choices...this choice isn't for everyone. And after purchasing it I still had enough money left over to take Sandra, the hottie that was in it last night out to dinner and a soak, and she didn't care if I paid 10k or 10 dollars....we both enjoyed it!

Well said! Not sure what the makes a low end spa either? I have read some complain of high electrical cost and yet I live close to the Canada border" gets cold here" and have yet to see a bill over 50 dollars. The reason for you getting accused of Costco is simple. They dare to sell a good value spa at a fair price. People know if you purchased a Platinum Elite spa or a new version Legend Elite then you got it at Costo.....Guilty by association! I personally looked at the more expensive spas and didnt see 5k worth of "upgraded" components or any better fit and finish so I have to assume most of the price is dealer markup and overhead. This is no different then landscape materials purchased through a local nursery or walmart. Same products but walmart is usually half the cost. No quality issue on mulch, fertilizer, grass seed ect. It is either Lilly Miller, Scotts, you get my point! Dealer suppoet is a argument that can be a issue but to be frank in over a year I haven't had the need. If I do I will call cutsomer support even if they refused to fix the spa under warranty I still have 5k I saved to fix or replace it! Everyone that uses my spa thinks it is fantastic! Stero, lights, waterfall, ozone, four pump. Not one has said to bad you didn't get a "high end spa"!

just info I found....not sure of what truth is behind it but I am sure its not far off.....

Qoute taken from link below:

"Most spa / hot tub manufacturers of any size pay regular wholesale prices for their consumer electronics, then mark them up as they do every other component in their spa, which is 30 to 100%! Which means in many cases your dealer is paying two times or more what you would if you went online and bought the same component".

Then they mark it up another 100% or so and you end up paying 4 or 6 or 10 times what regular retail is.

And worst of all many manufacturers of spas and hot tubs go shopping for the least expensive components, just to keep the price "reasonable", but who ends up with a poor quality product? You the consumer.

To top that off with the many restrictions on the add on components that are prevalent in warranties of some spa and hot tub companies, and you end up with an expensive product that does not work shortly after you receive your new spa and will not work shortly after YOU PAY to get it fixed.

Hot Tub info

I am sure Hydrospa does this same thing, but by going through Costco I am not paying all the middleman markup that a dealer has to charge to stay in business and pay his sales people. Not here to diss dealers and they have a role to play in tubs and other items we all purchase. Car dealers, furniture dealers and the worst....jewelery dealers all have an inventory they sit on and this itself causes the consumer to have to pay out the nose for said item.

You don't need to believe me...do the math yourself. How much is a stereo on the market...with two speakers...about maybe $250 to $300 bucks...now, go to your local dealer and see how much they charge for them....I think I was quoted about $1000 -$1500 depending on which model. If you think the markup is limited to just stereos and no other components on the spa you need to educate yourself.

I was actually told by the Vita dealer that if someone told him 10 years ago he would be selling spas for the price they are going today he would have told them they were out of their mind. :wacko:

I have to agree!!!!

just info I found....not sure of what truth is behind it but I am sure its not far off.....

Qoute taken from link below:

"Most spa / hot tub manufacturers of any size pay regular wholesale prices for their consumer electronics, then mark them up as they do every other component in their spa, which is 30 to 100%! Which means in many cases your dealer is paying two times or more what you would if you went online and bought the same component". Then they mark it up another 100% or so and you end up paying 4 or 6 or 10 times what regular retail is. And worst of all many manufacturers of spas and hot tubs go shopping for the least expensive components, just to keep the price "reasonable", but who ends up with a poor quality product? You the consumer. To top that off with the many restrictions on the add on components that are prevalent in warranties of some spa and hot tub companies, and you end up with an expensive product that does not work shortly after you receive your new spa and will not work shortly after YOU PAY to get it fixed.

/quote]

If you and soaker aren't pitching COSTCO and PE, what's your point? Since you both claim to be novices, your facts are based on the same thing you bashed Hottub lady and others for: hearsay, secondhand info that you pulled off the web or elsewhere. That makes your conclusion questionable at best, at least she claimed to be a professional researcher.

As for figures on markup, I question those too. In searching for a replacement for my PEII, I went to a local dealer and priced a Hot Spring spa that COSTCO sells for $5,700. The dealer's price was about $1300 more, but they included hookups, setup and delivery. So it was far from the 100% markup figure you posted. I suspect in today's competitive economic climate, few industries -- with the exception of pharma-- are still fattening up on triple-digit markups. It's not my goal to defend dealers, but after my experience with Hydrospa, I can certainly see where a reputable, experienced dealer adds to the value chain. I found several places where the people were helpful and knowledgeable.

Furthermore, if the Hydrospa unit is such a great deal, why does COSTCO bother to offer other units , as well as a BRAND NAME HotSpring spa with less features than the Hydrospa units for MORE money? Could it be that they sell a higher end product because they know people will pay a premium for better quality? In addition to the HotSpring models, COSTCO also sells Infinity units for $7500. So much for the spa is a spa is a spa argument. The fact is that there are differences in price, quality, reliability and service in every industry. And no less than COSTCO proves it. Those who bought the Hydrospa units --myself included-- did not want to pay more than $4K, and as a result, we own $4k spas. No more, no less.

If the discussion is about markup, what do we think Hydrospa is doing? Based on this reasoning, Hydrospa cuts out the dealer and sells $2000 spas for $4000 and splits the profits with the reseller. That conclusion speaks pretty ill of what we purchased: $2000 spas marked up 100%. Like I said, I am glad that people feel like they got a good deal, but after reading nasty blasts aimed at people that disagree, you sound just as exaggerated as anyone. At the end of the process, any prospective buyer will do well to read a lot, visit plenty io of dealers and big box stores, ask lots of questions and get bids from everyone to compare. I for one know firsthand what Hydrospa makes...and it's sure as heck not a Lexus.

If you and soaker aren't pitching COSTCO and PE, what's your point? Since you both claim to be novices, your facts are based on the same thing you bashed Hottub lady and others for: hearsay, secondhand info that you pulled off the web or elsewhere. That makes your conclusion questionable at best, at least she claimed to be a professional researcher.

Ok, let me dissect this a little more for you since your having a hard time understanding...

1. I do not have anything to pitch...I am Joe Average Consumer....read some of my other post, I work in technology....soak only for pleasure/leisure, don't repair or sell hot tubs.

2. My point is...just that...as I have said before...this is an open forum to debate/share information. Its where I gathered info before I decided to purchase a tub. I went around town looking at dealers and tubs and a friend of mine....actually my best friend informed me he seen the Platinum Legend tub and it looked really nice and to check it out. Which I did...the tub looked just as good (my opinion) than all the other tubs I looked at with all the features, except I didn't have a salesman standing there telling me about how shotty all the other tubs where compared to his. Did a search on Google and found this forum. I lurked around reading everyones post, even yours about their experience. I debated due to I hate making mistakes when I spend a lot of money on something but when I put everything down the only negative I could see was the dealer support and decided that wasn't really enough reason to spend an extra 5k on.

3. Didn't bash anyone, I posted about my experience and I few forum members opened it up by saying I couldn't give a review because I hadn't had it long enough, the tub hasn't proven itself yada yada yada. Sitting in my tub isnt got of the internet...its from ACTUALLY having the spa in my backyard. Instead of them coming on and saying thats awesome you got a great tub and happy soaking they wanted to question my ability to say I have a nice hot tub only because its made by hydrospa and they havent got a proven track record.

As for figures on markup, I question those too. In searching for a replacement for my PEII, I went to a local dealer and priced a Hot Spring spa that COSTCO sells for $5,700. The dealer's price was about $1300 more, but they included hookups, setup and delivery. So it was far from the 100% markup figure you posted. I suspect in today's competitive economic climate, few industries -- with the exception of pharma-- are still fattening up on triple-digit markups. It's not my goal to defend dealers, but after my experience with Hydrospa, I can certainly see where a reputable, experienced dealer adds to the value chain. I found several places where the people were helpful and knowledgeable.

4. The link I posted was from doing a Google search for HOT TUB MARKUP. The site has links to a lot of the manufacturers of tubs. Your right, you should question everything you read off the internet. The figures arent mine and I made no claim they were...I just offered the link so you would know where I read it. Maybe that dealer you went and visited offered the tub for only $1300 more was because he is smart and knows its offered at Costco and doesn't want to not sell because he is way OVERPRICED. Ok so you are denying the stereos they offer aren't EXTREMELY marked up? Never was good with math but you don't need to be to see the bottom line on that. I have no insight into what retailer are making in markups but you are fooling yourself if you don't think its exuberant!! As far as reputable, experienced dealers go I think you take as much chance there as you do with the chances of getting a lemon product. Sales has and always will be filling with individuals that will tell you a hot tub will make toast if it comes to them making a sale. I take it you havent had much experience with car salesmen, basically the same as any other salesman pitching a product. Creating a need for sometimes where a need doesn't exist can be rather tricky...other words why their product is sooooo much better than the other persons product.

Furthermore, if the Hydrospa unit is such a great deal, why does COSTCO bother to offer other units , as well as a BRAND NAME HotSpring spa with less features than the Hydrospa units for MORE money? Could it be that they sell a higher end product because they know people will pay a premium for better quality? In addition to the HotSpring models, COSTCO also sells Infinity units for $7500. So much for the spa is a spa is a spa argument. The fact is that there are differences in price, quality, reliability and service in every industry. And no less than COSTCO proves it. Those who bought the Hydrospa units --myself included-- did not want to pay more than $4K, and as a result, we own $4k spas. No more, no less.

5. Maybe because Costco pays differently for the OTHER units, so hence they charge differently? No idea on that. Yes, just like Chevy offers different model cars....the Cobalt is no where near a Corvette but made by the same company.

If the discussion is about markup, what do we think Hydrospa is doing? Based on this reasoning, Hydrospa cuts out the dealer and sells $2000 spas for $4000 and splits the profits with the reseller. That conclusion speaks pretty ill of what we purchased: $2000 spas marked up 100%. Like I said, I am glad that people feel like they got a good deal, but after reading nasty blasts aimed at people that disagree, you sound just as exaggerated as anyone. At the end of the process, any prospective buyer will do well to read a lot, visit plenty io of dealers and big box stores, ask lots of questions and get bids from everyone to compare. I for one know firsthand what Hydrospa makes...and it's sure as heck not a Lexus.

6. Did you read that part where I said I am sure Hydrospa is doing this also????? Where have I nasty blasted anyone...lol (you read way to much emotion into my postings, breath next time) Firm believer in getting more than one bid....that is why I went with Costco...lowest bid for the same item I felt I would get from other places. No the lowest bid isn't always the best in value but in this case I felt it was. No Lexus is made by Toyota...which also makes the Corolla (which in my opinion is a piece of crap(yes, I have owned one)) which also makes the Tundra (which I own currently) and feel its one of the best trucks out. People like choices!!! If you are the type that need the dealer hand holding then I definitely would suggest going that way...myself...I am not that way and didn't want to pay the markup that the dealer has to make in order to stay in business. If you want an example go to any computer store and price out ram or a motherboard and then go do a lookup on the exact same item on newegg.com and see how MUCH markup is on that item. The internet allows vendors to cut out a portion of "the process" and can offer the same item much cheaper maybe in the exact same way Costco can offer hot tubs to the people who shop there.

So let me ask you this...did you do any research before you purchased your tub? Did you read any of the forums or did you just go out and purchase this tub not knowing anything? Regardless, reading on here and educating yourself isn't going to guarantee you get a hassle free item that last years and years and doesn't break down. Being an educated consumer does in fact include knowing how to protect yourself when you do end up in that type of situation. jmendoza17, not trying to make you feel the same way I do by debating this. I am not happy you have had your bad experience, but I am happy I didnt have the same as you. I wish you nothing but luck in getting your tubbing experience fixed, so you can really enjoy it the way its suppose to. Hell if you lived close to me I would come help you haul that pos tub back to costco myself.

You people all make me laugh.

And also make me feel stupid for allways reading this threads...its like wanting to look at a car crash scene....

I find this board rather amusing also...I love reading how everyone jumps all over Jim the Jim on a constant basis. I love some of the sarcasm, it makes me laugh. I do find some wear their heart on their sleeve.

So let me ask you this...did you do any research before you purchased your tub? Did you read any of the forums or did you just go out and purchase this tub not knowing anything?

I agree with much of what you posted. As a fellow Joe average, I think COSTCO helps consumers by forcing the market to respond to competition. But if they smother everyone, we won’t have any competition, so I hope the dealers respond and keep their businesses healthy. I also fully agree that this an open forum to debate/share information and that is why I continue to post on a product that I –and numerous others—have had problems with. It keeps the playing field level and increases consumer information.

Like you, I researched plenty before I bought, but who has time to do a thesis. Price point was my breaking point and that proved costly. I would have been better off spending $2k more for the bottom line in top brand products. I badly misunderstood the potential cost of operating expenses and assumed dollar-a-day costs were approximate and generally cosnistent across the board. I also assumed COSTCO return policy would be my safety net. It still is, but the tub is not a toaster and instead of enjoying the tub 100%, I’ve spent too much time troubleshooting and problem solving. Anyway, soon enough the issue will get resolved. I’ll either figure it out or get another spa. Many lessons learned. Enjoy your tub.

Like you, I researched plenty before I bought, but who has time to do a thesis. Price point was my breaking point and that proved costly. I would have been better off spending $2k more for the bottom line in top brand products. I badly misunderstood the potential cost of operating expenses and assumed dollar-a-day costs were approximate and generally cosnistent across the board. I also assumed COSTCO return policy would be my safety net. It still is, but the tub is not a toaster and instead of enjoying the tub 100%, I’ve spent too much time troubleshooting and problem solving. Anyway, soon enough the issue will get resolved. I’ll either figure it out or get another spa. Many lessons learned. Enjoy your tub.

Don't beat yuorself up too much, as a hot tub consumer you can only do so much reasearch and learn so much. I roll my eyes sometimes when someone claims they researched the industry and they try to ome off like some expert by visiting these sites along with a few showrooms and kicking the tires. After having been in this industry for 8+ yrs I don't consider myself the authority on spa but I know sooo much more than I could have ever learned form spending a few weeks researching. You learn what you can from these sites, from fellow owners, from shopping and then hope to make an informed decsion. It doesn't always work out and in your case, when the price is a major factor you put yourself in somewhat of a corner because it limits what is out there for you (nothing wrong with that, not everyone has a $9k budget for a spa). I think your biggest issue is that Costcos return policy isn't an easily used tool for you which is a shame because it's one of their two best selling points (along with price).

Don't beat yuorself up too much, as a hot tub consumer you can only do so much reasearch and learn so much. I roll my eyes sometimes when someone claims they researched the industry and they try to ome off like some expert by visiting these sites along with a few showrooms and kicking the tires.

I agree with your comments, but I never stated I was an expert. I was just asking about his experience with this forum. I was curious if he found this site after or if he found this site before he made his purchase.

I myself started getting "too much" info on the differant tubs out there and that in itself made me start doubting myself even more on which tub to buy. Eventually you have to come to a point where you act. I think one of my friends refered to it as "mind f***ing" it too much. She actually wanted me to buy her old tub since she is going through a divorce. I dont really care to buy someone elses old stuff so decided to go new. There is nothing worse than to buy a product and to have issues right off the bat. My friend just bought a new dell computer only to have them have to replace the motherboard since it was defective the second day of owning it. Nothing like spending your hard earned cash to find you purchased a defective item. She actually dealt with it and let them come replace the motherboard. Me, I would have returned it just because of the bad taste it would have left and the doubt it would continue to be trouble free.

jmendoza17, I'm curious, where are you now with your spa? what are you doing with it?

$200 a month is a lot of cash.

Yeah, I was wondering why he kept dealing with it at this cost as well. As soon as I received the first electric bill I would have been looking for the fastest way to get that tub back to costco. When I bought mine that is the first thought when I started worrying about how much electric consumption it would use from reading others post on here.

I agree with your comments, but I never stated I was an expert. I was just asking about his experience with this forum.

I haven't been following this thread lately (it's more of the same I'm sure). Rest assured, my comment was SOLELY with regrad to what Mendoza had said and wasn't directed toward anthing you may have stated prior to that.