Cal Spa "double Ended" Pump

Spa Son

I need to replace a pump seal on what I can only describe as a double ended pump - there are wet ends on both side of the motor (I've nicknamed a pushme-pullyou pump)It's on a Cal Spa but I've never seen one before and want to find out more about them before I commit to the repair job. Anyone know what it's really called and where I can find out more - maybe even the pump seal it uses ?

I need to replace a pump seal on what I can only describe as a double ended pump - there are wet ends on both side of the motor (I've nicknamed a pushme-pullyou pump)It's on a Cal Spa but I've never seen one before and want to find out more about them before I commit to the repair job. Anyone know what it's really called and where I can find out more - maybe even the pump seal it uses ?

It is a GE Dually motor. I will find out what pump seal it is when I get into work in the morning.

It is a GE Dually motor. I will find out what pump seal it is when I get into work in the morning.

PS201 pump seal.

And seals are so easy to do.

they are? how did you get the wetend off the motor to clean the shaft?. did do that?or,did you just run the impeller on. and how did you get the impeller off without busting the thing? its all good to say the part is only XXX. the average do it yourselfer may not have the knowledge or tools to do it and how old is it and is it worth redoing the one i worked on was a "no leak"type pump and the local cal spa guy said not to bother because both side's need to be done and if the shaft is rusted it is toast good luk

PS201 pump seal.

are you a service tech? have you done one of these? you are just a sale's rep for a calspa offspring

David_bitton, , why the hostility?

I said if you have the knowledge pump repair is an easy process, if not get expert help. I have repaired numerous pumps over the years (spa, pool, and pond, even a few well pumps) but the first time it can be a challenge. Also, you have to know when to rebuild and when to replace it.

IF you don't know how to get the wet end of a pump off the motor then don't attempt it but it really is a no brainer for most folk.

Sounds like you had a bad experience rebuilding a pump but in general the average do it yourselfer has very few problems replacing seals and even motors. I have seen it happen time and again. If not there would not be such a big business in selling pump motors (GE, AO Smith, Magneteck to name a few) , seals, and repair kits (both OEM and third party (Aladdin for example).

PS201 pump seal.

are you a service tech? have you done one of these? you are just a sale's rep for a calspa offspring

I used to be a dealer for Cal Spas and I personally like them as much as you like Coast. According to my service tech and an independent tech I know well they tell me a 201 pump seal. The seals that come from the factory on those pumps were horrible which is why we do not use the oem seals. And yes I have done one of these. As long as you can get the impeller off then they are not too bad.

It's called a "Dually.

1. If it has 'ribs' on the wet end (like a StaRite Dura Jet) the wet end is PowerRight. If the wet end is smooth it is Vico.

2. It takes a standard PS-201 shaft seal.

3. If you break the impeller (wich you will) you may have trouble replacing it. Cal Spas only sells complete wet ends. You can only get them from Cal Spas or an authorized dealer/service agent.

4. To remove the wet ends you must pull the through-bolts and then remove the volute back from the grey adapter ring. The adapter ring allows 48 frame wet ends to be mounted to the 56 frame motor but also allows the wet ends to be properly oriented on the motor. MARK EVERYTHING before taking it apart or you'll spend an hour getting it all to line up again.

When we had a company "class" a couple of years ago, one of the store managers, trying to get pool service guys to be more productive and introduce them to some of the "easier" repair jobs, said that you should "be able to change a pump seal in 20 minutes."

Never mind that he was accustomed to doing it in the store, without sweat dripping in his eyes and the sun blazing down on his neck, and having done it 1000 times.

Like most pool and spa repairs, a pump seal IS a fairly easy repair, under good circumstances. Unfortunately, circumstance are not always good.

The dually pumps are somewhat more involved than a regular pump, but if you can do one of those, you can handle a dually. I'm not really all that experienced with them, but I have replaced the motor on one and the pump seals on another, so it CAN be done.

But it is like any other pump with respect to taking it apart. Sometimes they just simply don't like to come apart. Thru-bolts get broken off in the wet-end, impellers break 75% of the time at least, frustration.

I am not a CalSpa salesman or rep or even tech. I work on them against my will for the most part. But you don't just throw out the pump instead of replacing a pump seal (as much as I would like to sell someone a new pump) without at least making an effort. If you would do that for a dually, why not any other spa pump?

When we had a company "class" a couple of years ago, one of the store managers, trying to get pool service guys to be more productive and introduce them to some of the "easier" repair jobs, said that you should "be able to change a pump seal in 20 minutes."

Never mind that he was accustomed to doing it in the store, without sweat dripping in his eyes and the sun blazing down on his neck, and having done it 1000 times.

Like most pool and spa repairs, a pump seal IS a fairly easy repair, under good circumstances. Unfortunately, circumstance are not always good.

The dually pumps are somewhat more involved than a regular pump, but if you can do one of those, you can handle a dually. I'm not really all that experienced with them, but I have replaced the motor on one and the pump seals on another, so it CAN be done.

But it is like any other pump with respect to taking it apart. Sometimes they just simply don't like to come apart. Thru-bolts get broken off in the wet-end, impellers break 75% of the time at least, frustration.

I am not a CalSpa salesman or rep or even tech. I work on them against my will for the most part. But you don't just throw out the pump instead of replacing a pump seal (as much as I would like to sell someone a new pump) without at least making an effort. If you would do that for a dually, why not any other spa pump?

+1

• 3 months later...

Customer brought one into me to put back together for him. He took it apart broke both impellers. I after I got the impellers from CalSpas (took almost 1 month) I had to put it back together 3 differant times before I got it right. What a pain. But I did it with no help from the so called dealer support. Works like a dream.

It's called a "Dually.

1. If it has 'ribs' on the wet end (like a StaRite Dura Jet) the wet end is PowerRight. If the wet end is smooth it is Vico.

2. It takes a standard PS-201 shaft seal.

3. If you break the impeller (wich you will) you may have trouble replacing it. Cal Spas only sells complete wet ends. You can only get them from Cal Spas or an authorized dealer/service agent.

4. To remove the wet ends you must pull the through-bolts and then remove the volute back from the grey adapter ring. The adapter ring allows 48 frame wet ends to be mounted to the 56 frame motor but also allows the wet ends to be properly oriented on the motor. MARK EVERYTHING before taking it apart or you'll spend an hour getting it all to line up again.

+1

Have to be careful removing the impellers because the reverse impeller is not available. It was for a short time but not anymore.. As for the Dually that was pulled and brought back by popular demand because lol its almost to impossible to put 2 pumps in there. That Dually may not be avail forever! unfortunately

Seals are easy to change just be careful removing the impeller